Jewish English Speaking Community in BA

OP: I guess you could start by asking Jewish shopkeepers. There was one or two blocks with a lot of Jewish bakeries and other food shops just east of Pueyrredón, somewhere between Corrientes and Santa Fe (sorry can't narrow it down further, used to walk it lots of times but it's been a while).
Also might consider Abasto and try falling into conversation with other customers at the kosher McD's. But maybe you'd rather be below the yenta network's radar ;)

I love a good Rueben sandwich and meet Jews at my deli here in the states. I have to believe the same would apply in BA. Good luck.

steveinbsas said:
Purcy said:
Who is a Jew, anyway? How is it defined?
What religion is your mom?
There are, as a matter of fact, (at least) two definitions of whether one is jewish or not.

The one steveinbsas gives is the orthodox, the other, more secular, is that you are a jew, if you confess to the mosaic religion. (I read a a brick of a book about jewishness, written by a jewish scholar, during some days of bad weather when in Bariloche).

The orthodox definition have given rise to several problem, among them a court case about racism in great Britain.

"Britain’s Supreme Court declared Wednesday that it was illegal for a Jewish school that favors Jewish applicants to base its admissions policy on a classic test of Jewishness — whether one’s mother is Jewish. “One thing is clear about the matrilineal test; it is a test of ethnic origin, by definition, discrimination that is based upon that test is discrimination on racial grounds” ": http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/17/world/europe/17britain.html

Back