Jewish International Festival

Enjoy.

I am amazed how many Jewish people there are everywhere in Argentina. Certainly very colourful and interesting people, I deal with many, they have made my stay here a lot more enjoyable.

mendozanow said:
Enjoy.

I am amazed how many Jewish people there are everywhere in Argentina. Certainly very colourful and interesting people, I deal with many, they have made my stay here a lot more enjoyable.

I owe a lot to Jewish people (well I owe to me in fact, because I do good jobs :p).
True there are many Jews here (there's a lot antisemitism as well = catholic bigotry) but one of the reasons might date back to the 19th century, when Theodore Herzl and others were discussing the issue of setting an Israeli state : the historical choice was the one we know nowadays, but there was an optional hypotesis (maybe did it start to be discussed before the desert conquest ?) about locating it in Patagonia. I don't have time to search for sources now (something I read 20 years ago, hoping my memory doesn't betray me).

Argentina has the largest Jewish community outside of Israel after the US

nikad said:
Argentina has the largest Jewish community outside of Israel after the US

Nikad is right. A lot of it has to do with this guy: Maurice de Hirsch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_de_Hirsch

Of course the Pograms in Russia also helped and not everyone could get to NYC. No city in the world's immigration history is as close to NYC's from 1880-1930 as Buenos Aires'.

There's lots more to this story, but I'll just leave with the fact that LOTS of American Jews come down here and want some Jewish additions to their city tours. Also, there are some would ask for out-and-out Jewish Tours. The city is dripping with Jewish history and it can't be covered in just one day.

I have long had an idea about the Jewish state.

Why not have every Arab and Islamic country, including all members of the UN's OIC, put $40 billion into a fund. Supplement it with large contributions from non-Arab states which are currently giving aid to Israel or Arab states (in an amount that would total a few years of aid). Such a fund would approach $2 trillion.

Give half to Mexico in exchange for the Baja peninsula. With a trillion bucks Mexico could undergo dramatic improvements in its mainland infrastructure, development of fledging industries, public education, etc etc.
WIth the remaining trillion, provide payments to each and every Jewish citizen of Israel. Estimating that to be about 5 million persons, that would provide a payment of $200,000 to every man, woman, and child. They would use the money to establish new homes and businesses in Baja. Can you imagine what the Jews could do with Baja California? Desalinization plants would provide water to make that land, now much of which is desert, bloom. Seacoast galore for all kinds of industry including tourism. Proximity of the US, an ally, would ensure an absence of hostilities, not that there would be any since the Arabs would now have the Jews out of their hair.

The only problem is that when I mention this to Mexicans, even in jest, they get very, very upset. And of course, the Arabs would no doubt start internecine wars about how to divide up the vacant Israeli state. That might be the biggest problem.

Just an idea.

I guess the Jewish state has to be there, where it is, as it is the promised land. There is also an autonomous Jewish republic in Eastern Siberia, I think created by Stalin. No idea if it is really something like a jewish haven or just something created for propaganda purposes.

Back