Jobs other than teaching english?

xohmyx

Registered
Hello.

I've not long ago returned from Buenos Aires and i miss being there everyday!
My trip was only very very short (1month) but at the time that was the extent i could afford to stay there. i am however looking to return for a much longer time. and im wondering what the chances/how to go about getting a (decent) job in Buenos Aires. I asked my friends while i was there but seeing as they were all born and raised in the country they have no experience with ex-pat worries.

Teaching english is of course always an option for a native speaker coming to a forgein country but seeing as every english speaking man and his dog can do that, im assuming there are a lot more people looking then there are available jobs.

Im also wondering about visas is it necassary to have a 'working visa' to get a good job, i met some ex-pats while there and they had jobs on just the tourist visa but then they were getting paid under the table so to speak so i dont know how normal that is.

All im after at the moment is general infomation.
If anyone could send me a link to a site or post or something that will tell me more that would be great! (and dont just tell me to look on google thats not helpful!)

Do you have any skills?

Its more difficult here for foreigners than it would be in your own country but it is still true that certain jobs are available for certain people with certain qualifications.

I knew a french girl who had come down to learn spanish and end up staying here working as a chemist for a cosmetics company. Clearly for people like me who failed highschool chemistry and never went near it again, something like that would not be an option.

xohmyx said:
Teaching english is of course always an option for a native speaker coming to a forgein country but seeing as every english speaking man and his dog can do that, im assuming there are a lot more people looking then there are available jobs.

No worries about that. It's dead easy, especially if you know people who are already teaching. It's not my main job - in fact I've got one student, who I've not seen for over a month - but it's not hard to get into.

There are a couple of people on this board who might well be able to put you in touch with institutions etc if you've got the right bits of paper, as well.

hey xohmyx,im in the same boat....iv been going over for a month on my holidays for the last few years ,but want to make it more permenent...seems to me theres lots of red tape and under the table shanannigans....im thinking of setting up my own gigg...let me know if you hear of anything...where are you from?

I am an EFL/English teacher here, and just wanted to put in my two cents.

XOhMyX- I have to respectfully disagree with you when you said, "Teaching english is of course always an option for a native speaker coming to a forgein country but seeing as every english speaking man and his dog can do that..."

I personally felt a small sting of offense with that statement.

Teaching ESL/EFL (and teaching in general) is NOT easy work. While I acknowledge that there are many native English speakers who come here with a 6 week "certificate" and presume that they are now fully equipped and qualified to teach the language, there is a lot more to it than that. In my case, it's something that I have great passion for and take seriously, and studied formally for years.

There are a lot of quirks about teaching language that make it complicated to teach and to learn. For example, knowing the difference between "THEN" and "THAN," as in, "...im assuming there are a lot more people looking then there are available jobs." I don´t mean to be disrespectful, I am just making a point.

Regards,
Lauren

Lauren23 said:
XOhMyX- I have to respectfully disagree with you when you said, "Teaching english is of course always an option for a native speaker coming to a forgein country but seeing as every english speaking man and his dog can do that..."

I personally felt a small sting of offense with that statement.

Sorry Lauren i meant no disrespect in what i said, Of course it is hard work and there a people like yourself who are very dedicated to there work and enjoy it. When i said what i said, I was more reffering to the "6 week "certificate" type people you reffered to in your post. I do know its hard work i've looked into doing it but then came to the startling realisation that my own english skills kind of blow and id probably be better off taking a class than i would be teaching one.

@dk2 Im from Australia, I suppose setting up your own gig is of course one way to make sure you get employed =) It sort of seems like there is one way to do thing then there is the Argentina way of doing things...which seems to be more complicated and there are many more grey areas.

check out craiglist buenos aires,not much but you never know

Back