Juan Roman Riquelme Retires

Nice player when a team is built to indulge him. As a person, he comes across as a whinger. That whole summer 2 years ago with the "will he / won't he" retirement or leaving Boca story soured me completely. Probably held that Boca team back from developing.

In short, he was no Magico.

Fantastic player, pure magic from his boots, there will be time to have another player than him, those passes, those assists, those crosses, free kicks, yes he has to be the star of the team and everyone must play as his pace, but when that happen it works!! remember Argentina in 2006 or Boca all these years, or Villarreal, great teams playing for him.

Dont like his personality though.

A divisive fellow Riquelme but a wonderful player. As a Boca fan you loved his game, but often wanted to pull your hair out because of his tendency to divide the dressing room.

As for the final say as to how good he was, don't ask Argentines, ask Brazilians. The Brazilian clubs and their fans were scared to death of him, and generally think much more of him than many of his fellow Argentines. To some degree you could say the same about Messi, as many Argentines will never cozy up to him and are constantly looking for reasons to dislike him.

As a supporter of Argentinos, I appreciate his help bringing them back to Primera. Not sure how long they will stay without him.

EDIT: I just realized this means I saw Riquelme's last match. Not exactly the most glamorous for a player of his stature.

As a Boca fan, all I can say is
FINALLY
Time to move on!

Back