Judge overturns prop 8

jaredwb

Registered
Ok...so question here.

The Fed Judge that just ruled that Prop 8 was unconstitutional is an openly gay and liberal judge. Is there not a conflict of interest here and should he have not excused himself from the case?

Yes, I know there are straight people who agree with the proposal and a judge with that view could be considered a conflict. BUT...there are also many other straight people/judges who support Gay marriage.

However, I don't know any Gay people that support Prop 8 (that would include an openly liberal Gay judge).

As it will of course end up at the Supreme Court (again) now that Obama has loaded the Court. What do you think the outcome will be from the high court?

jaredwb said:
What do you think the outcome will be from the high court?

For the sake of humanity, fairness and equality for all, I'd hope it'll support the ruling that it's absurd to discriminate against gay and lesbian couples who want to marry. In the "land of the free", why have some people more free than others?

Live and let live, I say. Gay marriage won't hurt anyone.

M1ke said:
For the sake of humanity, fairness and equality for all, I'd hope it'll support the ruling that it's absurd to discriminate against gay and lesbian couples who want to marry. In the "land of the free", why have some people more free than others?

Live and let live, I say.

Amen.
Amen.

jaredwb said:
Ok...so question here.

The Fed Judge that just ruled that Prop 8 was unconstitutional is an openly gay and liberal judge. Is there not a conflict of interest here and should he have not excused himself from the case?

Yes, I know there are straight people who agree with the proposal and a judge with that view could be considered a conflict. BUT...there are also many other straight people/judges who support Gay marriage.

However, I don't know any Gay people that support Prop 8 (that would include an openly liberal Gay judge).

As it will of course end up at the Supreme Court (again) now that Obama has loaded the Court. What do you think the outcome will be from the high court?
I have appeared before Vaughn Walker. He may be gay, but he is not a liberal by a long shot. If anything, he is conservative. As a partner at Pillsbury Madison & Sutro, at the time an extremely conservative, Brahmin lawfirm, he represented the U.S. Olympic Committment in its suit aganst the Gay Olympics (much to the chagrin of the San Francisco gay community by whom he had been highly regarded as an icon). See http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/06/us/06walker.html?ref=todayspaper
for more on him and a note about the case.
The rest of your post is mental meandering of no consequence.

Back