Just one more crisis

Thanks for the clarification fedecc - Marksoc is even sillier than I originally thought, and that's saying a lot.

SaraSara said:
This guy is a joke. He pontificates about the future of the US, China, Europe, and Brazil, but he can't even get Menem's name right...

That's what happens to people who view La Nacion and Clarin as something to wrap fish in - they stay ignorant.

:confused::confused::confused:..., always I thought he opposite was true...what stupid and wrong I was.

Anyway...

Buenos Aires Fills Bond Void as Fernandez Stays on Hold: Argentina Credit <click>

“There’s enough money out there to absorb it,” he said. “I don’t think if the sovereign came out with an issuance it would absorb all the liquidity and that would close the door. A lot of investors are giving Argentina a second look in this environment and starting to invest back.”

Regional governments are benefiting from growing investor confidence in the country, according to ING’s Urquieta. Standard & Poor’s raised the South American nation’s rating one level on Sept. 13 to B, matching a July increase by Fitch Ratings. The central bank forecast Argentina’s economy will grow 9.5 percent this year, the fastest expansion since 1992.

Happy Clarin reading...and later it's good to fire the barbecue with it....actually the only thing it's good for.

Lucas said:
:confused::confused::confused:..., always I thought he opposite was true...what stupid and wrong I was.

Anyway...

Buenos Aires Fills Bond Void as Fernandez Stays on Hold: Argentina Credit <click>

“There’s enough money out there to absorb it,” he said. “I don’t think if the sovereign came out with an issuance it would absorb all the liquidity and that would close the door. A lot of investors are giving Argentina a second look in this environment and starting to invest back.”

Regional governments are benefiting from growing investor confidence in the country, according to ING’s Urquieta. Standard & Poor’s raised the South American nation’s rating one level on Sept. 13 to B, matching a July increase by Fitch Ratings. The central bank forecast Argentina’s economy will grow 9.5 percent this year, the fastest expansion since 1992.

Happy Clarin reading...and later it's good to fire the barbecue with it....actually the only thing it's good for.
Do not want to start a war of words but, the "B" rating for Buenos Aires paper is right up there with the Dominican Republic. Argentina has a B- rating. Please, the Argentine people deserve better than what this Government is feeding them.

dennisr said:
Do not want to start a war of words but, the "B" rating for Buenos Aires paper is right up there with the Dominican Republic. Argentina has a B- rating. Please, the Argentine people deserve better than what this Government is feeding them.

Those who read Clarin and La Nacion know that a "B-" bond rating is nothing to crow about - it means Highly Speculative.

And yes, people do indeed deserve better than the string of self-serving lies this government feeds them. Only one more year now...!

"This is the myth of America, not the reality. I had Blue Cross. The coverage was expensive U$ 450+"

A&A...I am paying USD $270 a month for a good Argentine medical plan. It's not the best but one of the better ones from a leading 'pre-pago'. You may be in your 20's and paying a lot less for a plan offered by a less expensive company, I don't know. I just know that what I am paying on the local economy is MORE than I would pay in relation to a salary in the USA. And, frankly, if I had to have any major surgery I would much rather have it done at an important teaching hospital in the US. Good employers in the US still pay for the lion's share of health plans so I think health care for employed professional people is quite accessible.

Schools...Andover, Exeter and other schools in that class are among the very best in the world. You say that your friends are paying $38,000 a year for private (day) schools in New York. I know that there are some outstanding schools in New York and New York is expensive. The Obamas are paying $28,442 and $29,442 for their two daughters at Sidwell Friends School. I'm sure they think they are getting value for money The Obamas, of course, don't have a choice as District of Columbia schools are very poor with countless social problems. Your friends could presumably cross the river to any number of suburbs and find excellent free public schools. Why do you think ARgentines send their kids to private school? There are only a few status schools. The majority are mediocre or worse. They are better, however, than state schools. That did not used to be the case. Years ago public schools in Argentina were excellent. There were just a few private schools and they were mainly run for the British community. Have you been around any of the better Argentine private schools to compare? You might be shocked at class size, the lack of critical thinking skills being taught and the generally mediocre or worse level of education. Public schools in the US? There are some outstanding schools in affluent suburbs of big cities. They compete very favorably with private schools in preparing students for admission to top universities.

Property taxes: I agree that this is not always the most equitable tax. People can be priced out of their homes if they lose their jobs or their income diminishes....Nevertheless, taxation is part of the social contract. You pay taxes NOT just for what you personally receive but for what your fellow citizens receive. If we were to follow your line of thinking that you shouldn't pay taxes if you don't personally benefit we'd have to dismantle social welfare and follow a philosophy of Social Darwinism. I might add that taxes are quite high in Argentina. The ABL has risen dramatically, there is a wealth tax on everything you own and countless other taxes not to mention unending business taxes. If your parents are paying $38,000 in taxes (comparable you say to private school tuition), they are lucky people to have such affluence and they can easily move to a more affordable suburb and still live well.

citygirl said:
Ummm.. wow. Barriers to foreign investment and that's how it should be? News flash - the company here is a local company. It is registered. My employees are from Argentina. I pay taxes to the Argentine government. My problems have involved bringing currency into the country to invest in ARGENTINA.

But yes, that's me - just trying to take advantage of Argentina and flee with my bags of riches after a few years ;) jajajajaja
Ha,ha.......the only bags of money fleeing are the those belonging to certain locals on their way to Miami to scoop up some great realestate deals.

Someone here is sounding like a Cabrera, is she BACCCCCCCCK?

dennisr said:
Just incase anyone is curious.
Moody'sS&PFitchDefinitionsAaaAAAAAAPrime. Maximum SafetyAa1AA+AA+High Grade High QualityAa2AAAA Aa3AA-AA- A1A+A+Upper Medium GradeA2AA A3A-A- Baa1BBB+BBB+Lower Medium GradeBaa2BBBBBB Baa3BBB-BBB- Ba1BB+BB+Non Investment GradeBa2BBBBSpeculativeBa3BB-BB- B1B+B+Highly SpeculativeB2BB B3B-B-

The Kirchners will stop at nothing to get their grubby paws on more money, and who do they target? Those most in need - not only have they stolen money from pensioners, now Queen Cristina has vetoed a project to increase pension rates - the sick and the elderly foot the bill for their rampant lust for wealth. Pensions and pension coverage are lower than they have ever been in Argentina.

Yes, I don't find health insurance particularly cheap here. As a single person, I'm paying 850 pesos a month for a mid-range plan with OSDE. Now if you're earning a local salary, proportionally, that's A LOT of your money going towards healthcare.

The mistake a lot of expats make is thinking in dollars or euros or pounds. If you are lucky enough to have a foreign income, great - it's still (relatively) inexpensive although getting less by the day. But for those who earn in pesos, IT IS NOT CHEAP.

Back