Know Anyone With A Fruit Orchard? (Lena)

Splitty

Registered
I want to buy up to 5 tons of wood from fruit trees for smoking meat. (Lena)
So I need to find an orchard with 100km of Buenos Aires with the following types of trees.

Peach, Apple, Pecan, Hickory, any kind of nut tree (Almond), Oak .
I can sort out the logistics of cutting/getting it here.

Here's a list with descriptions for the curious.

The following woods are great for smoking:
  • Acacia - the same family as mesquite, though not as heavy. A very hot burning wood. Smoked color: yellow, lemon type
  • Alder - light flavor that works well with fish and poultry. Contains a hint of sweetness, good with poultry and light – meat game birds. Traditionally used for smoking salmon. Northwest.
  • Almond - a nutty, sweet flavor
  • Apple - mild, fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good for poultry, pork. Northwest.
  • Apricot - mild, sweet flavor. Good on fish, poultry, pork
  • Birch - medium hard wood, flavor similar to maple. Good with poultry, pork,
  • Black Walnut - heavy flavor, can impart bitter taste if not monitored carefully
  • Cherry - mild, fruity. Good with poultry, pork, beef.
  • Citrus - lemon, grapefruit, orange, nectarine – light fruity flavor, good with fish, poultry, pork and beef.
  • Fruit trees - apple, cherry, apricot – sweet mild flavor
  • Hickory - strong flavor, good with beef and lamb. Smoked products develop reddish color. Southern regions.
  • Maple - like fruit, sweet flavor. Northeast.
  • Mulberry - sweet, similar to apple
  • Mesquite - very strong flavor, burns hot and fast. Good for hot short smoking, better for grilling.
  • Oak - probably best all around wood for meat smoking. Strong but not overpowering, good for sausages, beef or lamb. Smoked products develop light brown to brown color, depending on the length of smoking.
  • Peach - mild, sweet flavor. Good on fish, poultry, pork
  • Pear - light and sweet, smoked color dark – red. Excellent with poultry and pork.
  • Pecan - milder version of hickory. Burns cool. Southwest region.
  • Plum - mild, sweet flavor. Good on fish, poultry, pork
  • Walnut - heavy smoke flavor. Can impart bitter taste if not monitored. Good with red meats and game.

To simplify the matter:
  • fish and poultry - alder and fruit trees
  • meats - oak and hickory

I'm not aware of orchards close to BA - I'll ask around but within 100 kms, I don't think you'll find much. I think it's usually grown down south (patagonia) or up north (tucuman, etc)

Whatever you are planning... please keep me posted! I like the sound of it.

Back