Know Your BA Expats

Author of this piece trying too hard and overspecified for each 'type' . In short I think it breaks down into these types with people often being more than one type.

Why people end up in Argentina?

1-exiled to escape the law of own country - or family..
2-con artist always on the move
3-lost in life/looking for adventure or change
4-looking for 'exotic' partner(s)
5-opportunist/investor
6-retired/semi retired
7-have argentine family connections

What else?
Funny- I have never met anyone in categories 1 or 2. I have seen a few of category 5, but usually they leave after a few years, when they realize that the easy money is somewhere else. The vast majority of expats I have met fall in 4 categories-

A- a combination of 4 and 7- that is, usually an older man who has married into a family with a younger argentine wife. Sometimes a woman who has met a very cute argentine guy who cant get residence in her home country.
B- no. 6- Retired- I know a lot of american and canadian expats in this category
C- people who came for the culture or, yes, the opportunity. I know a variety of expats who have com here and started businesses- record companies, restaurants, manufacturing, performing arts, and retail.
D- Tango divorcees- I have met a lot of women who are either divorced or widowed, who move here to live out their fantasy of re-inventing themselves in a romantic way. Most are not interested in finding a partner, they have had enough of that.

There are also a fair amount of kids who come for a semester or year abroad, and just dont leave, because they are having so much fun.

Here's another tongue in cheek article about Expats life in Argentina by the same author: http://www.danieltunnard.com/en_GB/2016/10/things-you-learn-when-you-live-in-argentina/
While I dont agree with everything he says, he is absolutely dead on about Creedence Clearwater Revival- every argentine knows the songs, every band could play a cover version of a creedence song with no rehearsal right now. But they have never heard of any of the 100 other better bands from America who played at the same time. (and I like Creedence just fine, dont get me wrong- I bought the first two albums on vinyl when they came out, and I can shuffledance to Born on The Bayou with the best of em)
Something about Creedence touched the heart of every Argentine DJ in the late 60s early 70s- EVERYBODY knows them. Every cab driver. And radio still plays them.

Heck, they even took the music from "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence and made it into the futbol song "Brazil decime que se siente"

Back