La Noche Está en Pañales: An American's Peek Inside the Buenos Aires Underground Scene

Typical hipster who spends a week somewhere and now knows everything. Which is not to say the bands he saw may not be good, I will check them out.
But the 60 year history of rock nacional is just a wee bit more complicated, and rewarding.

( You dont have to be young to go to La Tangente, they have let me in numerous times since I turned 65.)

Typical hipster who spends a week somewhere and now knows everything. Which is not to say the bands he saw may not be good, I will check them out.
But the 60 year history of rock nacional is just a wee bit more complicated, and rewarding.

( You dont have to be young to go to La Tangente, they have let me in numerous times since I turned 65.)
Yes, but she wrote with such joyous enthusiasm that you can't but forgive her naivety, can you?

This is probably a good time to say thank you, @Ries and thank you @jantango for your regular, informative and enjoyable commentary on different aspects of the Buenos Aires music scenes: I always read each one. I also enjoy it when other forum members enthuse about performances they have seen though I'm ashamed to say that I don't often do that myself.

Just a related swerve: does anybody know if Richard Shindell ever performs in Buenos Aires? He lives in the city and has a place in Provincia but as far as I know performs mostly in the US, Europe and the UK. I've enjoyed his music for years but the one time he was performing just 10 miles from my home in the UK, I was - naturally - in Buenos Aires. I'll be back again for a few months from December so I live in hope!

My feelings about KEXP, and hence this writer, are complicated and biased by my having listened to its predecessor, KCMU, which was much more freeform and experimental, with volunteer DJ's, starting in 1972, until its strange "purchase" by Microsoft Billionaire Paul Allen, and conversion to a kinder softer MOR indie rock station, renamed KEXP.
Still waters run deep, when we are talking over 50 years of opinions about the politics, culture, and commercial viewpoint or lack of it, of what has become a global music influencer.
In their defense, the video concerts KEXP posts on youtube are almost always excellent, including the series they did last year of intimate live shows in Argentina.
unfortunately, their daily DJ's play almost none of the wonderful bands from all over the world that they have videos of.
I have been an avid alternative radio listener since the Pacifica Stations started by Lorenzo Milam in the sixties, so I have strong and idiosyncratic opinions on this...

All of these are well worth watching- https://www.kexp.org/argentina/

And I also recommend the netflix series Rompan Todo, even though it is only one man's viewpoint of 50 years of an entire continent's music- as it happens, that one man was at the center of a lot of interesting scenes, so its very informative.

I am also flattered and amazed at the number of views my ramblings about music here get. I do it mainly so I can remember, myself, and because I enjoy the music itself so much. I hope some of the readers actually go and see some live music, ANY live music, in Buenos Aires this week and this year. Lots happening, as always.

Back