lanuage school

glasgowdavid said:
thank you everyone who has replied , i am overwhelmed, seriously that strangers can take so much time and effort, it is so encouraging and i know why now that when i head down i will be able to call on some of you for a leg up as the social isolation is the motivation for considering a group and the resultant social occasions that will result from that camaraderie in the group.
reading between the lines it would seem that since i am there for 8 weeks initially that it may be beneficial to join one of the recommended groups and after a short period i consider the private tutor separately or in tandem.
now how do i get the PM element working?!

For a private teacher, Sofia Bohmer is amazing and would cost you much less than US500 a month! Check out her page: http://sofiabohmer.wordpress.com/

I was choosing between group class or private but decided that I wanted to go at my pace, as opposed to wait for everyone else or have other people wait for me. Her class is not only about grammar but about colloquialism and she has an ability to explain all the tricky rules in a clear methodical way. Being a socioliguistics student, I guess that's her craft. She's more a friend to me than my profesora.

Good luck and have fun!

I would recommend you attend a good institute to learn the structure and technicalities of the Spanish language, and then try to socialize a lot with Spanish only speaking people or bilingual. Immerse yourself in the language. That's the way to go. You'll learn in a heartbeat. You can practice with me. I'm moving to Argentina with my children and husband in a couple of months from the USA. I'll be more than glad to help you. Let me know.

Jeny

just as a note, this is not an unusual thing for language institutes attached to any university in any nation that I'm aware of (I'm a foreign language dept. chair). Students often come to nations wanting to attend classes at the university with inadequate preparation in the host country's language. Universities don't want/can't give university-level credit for what is basically remedial instruction (that students should have come with already). So many large universities (including my own in the US) offer non-credit, language institute courses just for language preparation that do not require university entrance. The institute is then affiliated, and depending on the university and the nation, administered by the university.

My home university in the United States, for example, requires our exchange students to the University of Granada in Spain to do an intensive 4 week course at the CLM, their "related" institute before their classes begin just to be sure their language is up to snuff.

What I will agree on (in a general sense) is that such university _related_ institutes are, in the main, a better bet for quality than independent schools. There is usually at least a minimum of oversight by the university that garauntees standards- there is no such in independent langauge schools and therefore they are a crap shoot. Might be great, might be worthless.

All that said, I have no _personal_ knowledge of the institute attached to the UBA. I speak in general terms for current and future readers of the thread.

The school is on the corner of Perón and Maipú. I was there for four weeks in February and I found it to be great. Group classes are offered in the AM and the PM. 4 hours/day, 5 days/week. Private classes are in the PM for 2 hours/day, 5 days/week. The staff is excellent. There is a nice mix of students as well.

Back