Larcenous Apartment Owner -- Deposit

TruchoTango

Registered
Hola Gang,

My 6-month contact is up in about 2 weeks for the apartment I am renting in BA.

The owner of the apartment has shown a strong tendency towards larceny.

I will be returning the apartment in better condition than when I rented it, as there was a broken door that I had repaired at my own expense. Otherwise, the apartment is in the exact same condition as when I rented, 6 months ago.

The owner has my $500 deposit. Does anyone have any practical suggestions for recovering this deposit?

Is anyone familiar with the law or can point me to said law?

Thanks a mil.

Ghost sums it up. Have owner meet you at the apt and give you the deposit in cash (presuming that is how you paid it). I also always encourage a polite "heads up" where you tell landlord the week before "Contract is up on XX. I will meet you at the apt at 10 a.m. and you can inspect and return the deposit and I will return the keys. Thanks." That way the landlord has a week to come up with the cash assuming s/he didn't leave it in the deposit box.

IMHO the best way to handle it is to just not pay the last month.

First ask if you can just use the deposit to pay the last month. They'll likely say no. Then when the rent is supposed to be paid, stall. As it gets closer and closer to move out they'll start showing their hand.

I did this a few years ago and on about the 28th day I was like - so you want me to give you the money, and you are then going to just give it right back in 3 days?

In the end they had no intention of giving me a cent back. Made up all sorts of BS, like 'We need to repaint the house' etc.

Back