Las Cañitas Grocery and food Stores

STElmoFranco

Registered
Hi,

Just moved up to Las Cañitas from San Telmo. I previously did most of my shopping at the Mercado San Telmo, where I was happy with the quality and price relative to what you get at large supermarkets. Can anyone recommend grocery stores in Cañitas or smaller specialty stores such as butcher shops, vegetable/fruit stands etc?

Thanks!

On the corner of Soldado de la Independencia and Federico Lacroze are three good places: Valenti - cheese and deli meats and next to it is a spice store and a good vegetable store.

Which side of Las Canitas are you on?
I buy meat at Avicar & fish at a fishmonger on federico lacroze, and fruit and veg at various stalls dotted around La Imprenta, mainly on Maure and soldad between olleros and maure.

When I lived in Buenos Aires... I lived on the corner of Arce y Gasset.(Julians apartment..not the same one is it?) On the corner of Chenaut & Huergo... 1 block from Luis Maria Campos...their is a grocery store that has a nice selection of meats and cheeses ... decent fruit and veggies...and has never given me inflated prices. They were always fair and the produce fresh.

STElmoFranco said:
I live on Ortega y Gasset near the intersection of Arce.

There's two good verdulerias -- the men over on Arevalo & Baez and one run by a woman on Soldado & Matienzo.

There's another on Arce btwn Matienzo & Newbery, I don't go there that often.

The new chino that opened on Baez has some good produce, but they appear to be really expensive. However that same chino has really good deals on booze.

There's another chino on Arce between Ortega y Gasset and Eslovenia that's pretty good. Be aware that at both these chinos in the past 10 days I have walked in and the power has been off in the dairy section -- and the milk inside has been room temperature -- this was on 30+ degree days.

I therefore buy my milk/dairy at either the Carrefour express on Arce or from the Almacen.

There's two good places for pasta -- AstroRey on Arce and Reina de Palermo on Matienzo.

The bakery on Matienzo has better sandwiches de miga than the one on Arce, and they have pretty good facturas.

The Arab place on Arce has the best hummus I've had here.

There's a butcher across from reina de palermo that also has some chicken products, for just chicken products there's a place on Arce.

Oh and the guy at the Almacen has a decent selection of deli meats and fresh bread -- he'll make you a sandwich on the spot if you like. The new chino on Baez also has a decent looking butcher/deli in the back but haven't tried them yet.

Back