Lavanderias

Status
Not open for further replies.

albrightjl

Registered
Hi,
Am I correct in saying that most people do their laundry at a lavanderia? I haven't seen a place where one can to her/his own laundry, unless you have your own washer in your place. I am renting in Las Canitas and recently took my laundry to a local lavanderia. I have lots of running clothes that should not be dried in the clothes dryer. The price to do my laundry was the same as if I had my clothes washed and dried. Is 5 pesos a reasonable price for a load of laundry? We had three loads and the total was 15 pesos.

Nashorama,
Thank you very much for the information. I'll look around the building that I am in and also look around to see if there is any competition.

In san telmo the price is more like 8 pesos per load and not one uses heated water. if the tap water is cold, they wash it in cold water. ive had lots of trouble with stuff coming back stained etc. i just had the 2 polyester comforters done, they charged me 24 pesos. I wash lots of things by hand now, i never get caught up.

The price is usually between 5 and 7 pesos per load. I don't know how Nashorama has ferreted out these inexpensive place; long acquaintance with the city, no doubt.

Im sure many find foreigners their most difficult customers. We actually expect standards and good quality. how difficult that must be to the system they have set up where the customers are the enemy. in san telmo the service is rude, there is no way to get to know their names, they are ice, fake, phoney, false. blowing smoke in my face and rude.
I try and be a nice customer, and since ive lived there over 4 years, im a repeat customer. doesnt matter to them. i cant even buy bananas! not nice people, the porteños. Just walking out the front door into the cloud of black smoke swirling by and bracing myself for the next airplane decibel roar, i begin a day of one SOB after another.
(they have been much nicer and civil here in mar del plata i have to say). MDP calls itself "La Feliz", BA has been called in various famous tango songs (im told), the "City of Fury", seems they hit the nail on the head with that one!

"JG" said:
Im sure many find foreigners their most difficult customers. We actually expect standards and good quality. how difficult that must be to the system they have set up where the customers are the enemy. in san telmo the service is rude, there is no way to get to know their names, they are ice, fake, phoney, false. blowing smoke in my face and rude.
I try and be a nice customer, and since ive lived there over 4 years, im a repeat customer. doesnt matter to them. i cant even buy bananas! not nice people, the porteños. Just walking out the front door into the cloud of black smoke swirling by and bracing myself for the next airplane decibel roar, i begin a day of one SOB after another.
(they have been much nicer and civil here in mar del plata i have to say). MDP calls itself "La Feliz", BA has been called in various famous tango songs (im told), the "City of Fury", seems they hit the nail on the head with that one!
One would almost think BsAs is a penitentiary in which you've been incarcerated against your will. For your own peace of mind, leave the place. Heaven knows I don't care for the place myself -- but I don't live in BsAs.
If you insist on living in BsAs, go with the flow. Match nastiness with nastiness. Show that you're an even meaner SOB than they are. Push obstreperous people out of the way; and if someone blows smoke in your face, belt him one. These are people to whom politeness and courtesy are signs of weakness. Too long have you been the considerate gentleman. No more Mister Niceguy.

This is BA...cheap service gives you cheap results. Establishing a relationship with the employees is always adviceable. Sorry BBW...being nasty doesn't get you anywhere unless that is your way to vent....to a heart attack. But each to his own.
Valet service at lavanderias cost between $5-7 pesos in most neighborhoods. Most decent laundromats will use cold water and very strong detergent. Your load will be mixed with that of other customers. The staining is most likely caused by the color treatment of garments of cheaper quality that they mix in with yours. I suggest that if you have garments that you don't want dried in the machine, supply them with hangers and ask them to hang dry. The charge will remain the same. Rather than invest in a washer, some people buy an electric spinner or centrifuge. It is fairly small and light. Most common brand name is Koh-i-noor....costs $170-225. They hand wash everything and run it thru the spinner to remove the water. Clothes will dry very rapidly and they keep their shape well. Most locals have one even if they have a washer.

"gracielle" said:
This is BA...cheap service gives you cheap results. Establishing a relationship with the employees is always adviceable. Sorry BBW...being nasty doesn't get you anywhere unless that is your way to vent....to a heart attack. But each to his own.

I'm just pulling JG's leg. He appears to detest BsAs.

Why don't you people get your own washing machines for goodness sake? Instead of bleating about service and cost. If you can afford to live in BA, surely you can afford a decent machine for a couple of hundred pesos? That way, all your laundry will be washed and dried the way YOU want it, surely?
As for service and manners of Argentines are concerned, I must be lucky. Apart from the odd surly waitress or mozo, I have found almost every Argentine I have met, both in Cap Fed and the provinces to be more than helpful and friendly. For me the words simpatico and macanudo must have been coined for the Argentines.I lived in Spain (Cataluna) for a few years and I have found the difference between the two peoples quite stark. So that's why I live here, I suppose.Oh! The mucama does our washing by the way. She seems to love it and my clothes are ironed to perfection.
Where does BBW live by the way? Also, the comments about foreigners being difficult customers....is that because some of you don't speak Castellano, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back