Layover in Brazil without a visa..

surfing said:
Why are you blaming me for asking a question? I have nothing to do with any government policies nor do I defend them.

I'm not blaming you for the policies, but rather pointing out the ignorance behind your line of reasoning. The logic behind the Brazilian policies is annoying, but Brazilians, Argentinians, and a whole lot of other people have to deal with much harsher policies when traveling through the US. If you don't like the Brazilian policies perhaps you could try influencing the US policies?

I dont understand this either... as i went from colombia via sao paulo 2 months ago, and have gone through soa paulo maybe 10 time on way to europe, and there was no passport check at all. The last time it was a layover of 4 hours, the only thing that was close to immigration was that we had to get our carry on bags scanned when we arrived, but after that i was in the transit area, i had to walk to another area (10 mins walk) for the new gate but not once did i come into contact with immigration, no one asked how long i was there for, where i was going to etc..

The only time my passport was checked was when i went to board the flight to BSAS at the boarding gate. So i am guessing you did something wrong and went through immigration. I did however read that if you stay longer than 7 hours in transit and you require a visa to enter the country (eg: US Passport holders) you need a visa. But i am not sure where they would check unless you leave the transit area..

As far as i know, in this part of the world the only place that does immigration checks of transit passengers is the USA, part of the reason i try never to travel via the USA, cant stand their immigration process, the attitude of the officers at the border and the length of time to go through - i have missed connecting flights because of this, even when i had over 2 hours to get from one plane to the other...

When I got off the plane the only option was to go through immigration and when I asked the guy who worked at the airport if I had to even though I was just there for a layover he said everyone must go through immigration. However, I was there for 10 hours, so I guess it makes sense, it was just a little irritating after calling the airline and talking with multiple people that said it was not a problem..

autumnquarantotto said:
it was just a little irritating after calling the airline and talking with multiple people that said it was not a problem..

I would not of been a happy camper either... And if everyone has to go through immigration now, what a pain - another airport to cross off my list of VIA AIRPORTS !!!

autumnquarantotto said:
When I got off the plane the only option was to go through immigration and when I asked the guy who worked at the airport if I had to even though I was just there for a layover he said everyone must go through immigration. However, I was there for 10 hours, so I guess it makes sense, it was just a little irritating after calling the airline and talking with multiple people that said it was not a problem..

Did you have two separate tickets? On a connecting flight, I've never had to go through immigration anywhere in Latin America. That includes Sao Paulo, Santiago, Montvideo, and Lima.

Furthermore, the airlines in Buenos Aires are very careful about not allowing someone without a valid visa to board if they will have to go through customs. It would be very odd if they let you board a flight that didn't allow for connecting international flights.

I did have two separate tickets, but it was a brazilian airline though, so I don't think it mattered that my final destination was Buenos Aires.

autumnquarantotto said:
I did have two separate tickets, but it was a brazilian airline though, so I don't think it mattered that my final destination was Buenos Aires.

That was your problem. If you buy two separate tickets, with the first one making Sao Paulo your final destination, you will have to go through immigration in Sao Paulo. I'm surprised that they let you board the plane. :eek:

Next time make sure you purchase one airline ticket that has your connecting flight to an international destination. Not all flights that arrive to GRU connect internationally.

No no sorry haha I realize the way I worded that sounded confusing, it was a one way ticket to Buenos Aires via Rio, but was with a Brazilian airport. That was why I didn't understand why there was such a big deal. Anyways, I am here so I guess in the end it worked out :p

kurtdillard said:
I'm not blaming you for the policies, but rather pointing out the ignorance behind your line of reasoning. The logic behind the Brazilian policies is annoying, but Brazilians, Argentinians, and a whole lot of other people have to deal with much harsher policies when traveling through the US. If you don't like the Brazilian policies perhaps you could try influencing the US policies?
I have no idea what you are ranting about. My original question simply asked the OP to clarify what happened, I expressed no opinions about any policies either Brazilian or US. Please leave me alone.

Back