Layover in Brazil without a visa..

autumnquarantotto said:
No no sorry haha I realize the way I worded that sounded confusing, it was a one way ticket to Buenos Aires via Rio, but was with a Brazilian airport. That was why I didn't understand why there was such a big deal. Anyways, I am here so I guess in the end it worked out :p

Ha, I have to admit that this is very peculiar. Glad you made it, and thanks for letting us know. I'll be sure to avoid connecting flights through Brazil if I can help it!

OP - just to clarify - your layover was in rio or sao paulo?

After living in Brazil for almost 2 years, I can honestly tell you that if you had gone to a different immigration officer it would have probably been different, they are all SO different, it really makes you wonder if they all have the same employee manual. There's always someone who wants to exert a LOT of power in that type of job (by far my worst immigration experiences are always at Heathrow and I'm from the US). The US/Brasil relationship is a lot calmer now ... about a year ago Brasil had issues with Italy and Spain and "tortured" friends of mine with tons of demeaning questions, there's always a "hotlist" country to battle with.

I think if you knew Portuguese and did one of the two 1)be very firm and tell the officer that this is ridiculous or 2) (only works for women) CRY ... you wouldn't have had to go through so much drama.

Anywho,just invest in the $150 visa, good for 10years now ... Rio is equivalent to London price wise, but it's a huge country with a lot of affordable places to explore in the future

Or just avoid flying through Brazil if you can avoid it. :p Thank goodness for direct flights. That last thing one needs is more stress during travel.

my boyfriend had a layover in brazil no problem a few months ago. I wonder what it depends on.

Back