Learn To Make Asado?

find yourseif an argentine (male) friend... ;)
Yeah, and then stand back as he takes control, doesn't teach you anything, belittles you if you do something wrong or make a suggestion, and generally warms his macho ego in the flames of the asado.
Personally, I just let them get on with it and I go and get drunk.

I much prefer the important post of "beer-fetcher" for the asador .

This is equally as important as the main job as you have to keep him hydrated at all times !

Go to an asado. Watch the cook as you talk about futbol or politics. :)

Personally I think getting the fire going is the trickiest part.

Meh
I've eaten dozens of argentine asado across the range from that made by guachos in northern cordoba to mallmans restaurants in la boca and Mendoza and all in all, I'm not that impressed. Give me some quebracho blanco and some wonderful argentine carne y verduras and I'll serve you an asado that'll make you wonder how you ever choked down so much over-cooked over-salted connective tissue and fat.

Meh
I've eaten dozens of argentine asado across the range from that made by guachos in northern cordoba to mallmans restaurants in la boca and Mendoza and all in all, I'm not that impressed. Give me some quebracho blanco and some wonderful argentine carne y verduras and I'll serve you an asado that'll make you wonder how you ever choked down so much over-cooked over-salted connective tissue and fat.

I totally agree with this. Argentine ASADO is no big science at all. There is no pre-preparation of the meat, the biggest decision is if you are going to use wood (leña) or coal (carbón). The best wood to use is "quebracho colorado" Have a butcher cut the meats for you for a "typical" asado - ask for tira de asado, vacío, matambre, and pechito de cerdo - also morcillas and chorizos if you like them, and add chicken if women are coming to the ASADO. Everything is usually cooked well done to almost burnt, and you have to keep the embers (brasas) hot at all times. It's not like american bar-b-que where you have dry rubs, sauces, ribs marinated in beer, things like fish and corn on the cob on the grill with the meat, etc. And now that the meat here is not anywhere near as good as it used to be so ASADO while is still enjoyable is not the big deal it used to be - for me at least.

And now that the meat here is not anywhere near as good as it used to be so ASADO while is still enjoyable is not the big deal it used to be - for me at least.

Any idea why it isn't as good? Uruguay beef is great but it is all grass raised. Has that changed in Argentina?

I don't know - I don't think it's as easy as people think it is having watched several friends attempt and fail. I think the key is a) using the right salt to rub on the meat before cooking, b ) building the fire and keeping it at the right heat and keeping the meat at the right distance above it and c) judging the amount of time it will take and putting things on at the right time.

I adore asados and luckily enough, live with someone who is a master at them. So I just appreciate the results and don't have to deal with the work :)

As for where to learn - find a friend (yes, 99% of the time a male friend) and ask him to teach you.

ETA - Using carbon to do an asado? Heresy!!!! ;)

And David - don't know where you're eating but we always put vegetables on when we do asado. Roasted peppers, corn, potatoes and onions wrapped in tinfoil, etc.

I like meat from Avicar there are several branches and is veal there are some good offers, I bought yesterday 2kg roastbeef and it was 60 pesos, lomo the most expensive cut is 72 pesos.
Reina

Back