Leave Money In An Argentine Bank?

I would take my chances and take the money with me. He didn't say where he was going to travel, but if he doesn't want to have the money with him, he could open a new bank account in the country where he is going and deposit the money there. Then when he is ready to come back, he could withdrawn everything and close the account.

Opening a bank account in some countries, especially if you do not have residency, is very difficult. However, would another option be to take the pesos with you and then change them to travellers cheques? Do these even exist any more? Then cash out the traveller's cheques before you come back.

Just find someone that wants US$ in Argentina and get them to deposit the US$ into your account outside the country. When you are back in Argentina just transfer the money back via xoom/cueva etc when you need it... you will probably end up loosing less in commission than paying $300 dollars for a security deposit box...

Also there my be a waiting list for a caja de securidad at the bank

Depends why you have a bank account.
I have a bank account so I can do automatic payments to Edenor and Metrogas and pay the cable bill.
So it makes perfect sense to me to keep some money in it, especially when I am not in Argentina.

But actually SAVING money in an argentine bank seems kinda dicey- mainly because, with inflation, its worth less every month.

Opening a bank account in some countries, especially if you do not have residency, is very difficult. However, would another option be to take the pesos with you and then change them to travellers cheques? Do these even exist any more? Then cash out the traveller's cheques before you come back.

I'm not sure you can open a safety deposit box in a bank here if you don't have an account. At least you can't in Citibank. However, many Argentines don't trust the safety deposit boxes either. Going to Uruguay to open an account is possible, but not easy if you don't have all the required paperwork. Whatever your decision there will be some amount of risk involved: keeping the money on you in a security belt, leaving it an account or safety deposit box or trusting someone to deposit it into your account and Xooming it back here. It's like asking a group of strock brokers which is the safest and most reliable stock to invest in.

Ideally, a low-friction way to transfer your dollars in and out of Argentina is the best solution.
Get an account at an institution outside Argentina, either at a brick-and-mortar bank or an online-only bank.
Online-only banks have low fees and minimum balances.
A quick google search brought up this useful link:
http://www.mybanktra...cking-accounts/
Best case scenario, you can make ACH transfers between your Argentina bank account and your account outside the country.
I have accounts at three banks here is the U.S. and shuffle money around for free using ACH transfers, but these are domestic transactions. Dunno if you can do the same internationally, maybe not. Possibly you will have to make wire transfers. International wire transfer might cost you forty bucks or so, not sure of the exact amount.
Another possibility: get an account in your country of origin with the same international bank you are using in Argentina, perhaps using the address of a family member or a friend. Then you could transfer money between those accounts as necessary.

You CANNOT transfer money between your accounts at a foreign bank and it's subsidiary here. Unless you want to lose about 35% in fees and pesofication. Further you can't even open a bank account without a DNI. Aside from using family or friends you nay be able to use one of the wire services like Azimo and Xoom. I had to travel with significant amount of money throughout Ecuador. Ctreated a great place to hide it and was more afraid of walking in the streets than having my larger hidden sum of money taken from it's hiding place. And there are always hotel safes and money belts. Makes ya look kinda heavy tho....

I agree with Ries and so many
I stopped playing the banking gane in the early 80s
i have a small bank acct in pesos for luz, gas and the iva for shopping NADA MAS!
I would be afraid of putting anything of great value, especially cash in an Argentine safety deposit box!
depending on where you are traveling, maybe you can find a place or someone with whom to leave it.

Opening a bank account abroad is very difficult in many countries
there are many factors to consider but bot knowing more details its hard to answer
good luck
Esteban

OP has posted :
I reside in BA and have a few thousand USD in my USD account at an Argentine branch of a reputable international bank.

A few thousand dollars ? Just take it with you..When in foreign country go to the Amex office and change them into TC..It will be safe and when returning to Argentina, exchange them for us $Hunsky, who knows by the time of your return the Blue may be at around $15 !

Back