Legal/logistical things besides visa/residency to prepare before moving from USA?

pixer12

Registered
Hi everyone! I'm preparing to relocate to Buenos Aires from the USA for a period of 3-5 years. I'm currently working through the work visa process with my future employer and the nearest Argentine consulate. Besides this, what other legal/logistical things must I (or should I) prepare? For example:
  • Do I need to gather and bring my medical records? And/or any other documents (e.g., Social Security card, birth certificate, university records)?
  • Should I set up a local bank account as soon as I obtain work authorization and can I do that from here?
  • Should I deactivate my American credit cards?
  • Should I maintain my American cell phone # for a while after arriving?
  • Do I need to arrange for healthcare coverage after arriving?
Some other things I imagine are worth mentioning:
  • I intend to rent a short-term apartment and/or crash with friends for a little while before I rent a longer-term apartment.
  • I will be working for an Argentine employer (and I understand that I'll be earning peanuts as a result).
  • It's just me who is moving - no partner, children, relatives, etc.
  • I will bring electronic things I need (computer/phone/etc) with me.
  • I expect only to bring a couple suitcases with clothing and do not expect to need international moving services.
Any guidance would be most helpful. Thank you all in advance!

You probably won't need any paper documents. Put anything you think you might need on your computer or a portable hard drive. Find out if your employer is providing health insurance. If not, you can check that out when you get here. Probably don't need medical records unless you have some current health issues. Keep your credit cards activated in case you need them. Don't worry about opening a bank account right away. You may need a DNI for that. Open a Western Union account.

I'd suggest you renting a mail service company in your city. I've had mine since living here and find it exceptionally valuable as having items sent to you in Argentina can take weeks, or longer. My mail service in the US notifies me of any items received and if I want, they'll send pics or, if necessary, like mail-in ballots, forward them to me.

You probably won't need any paper documents. Put anything you think you might need on your computer or a portable hard drive. Find out if your employer is providing health insurance. If not, you can check that out when you get here. Probably don't need medical records unless you have some current health issues. Keep your credit cards activated in case you need them. Don't worry about opening a bank account right away. You may need a DNI for that. Open a Western Union account.
Thanks! Why do you recommend a Western Union account? Do you recommend bringing a lot of USD for while I'm getting set up locally?

I'd suggest you renting a mail service company in your city. I've had mine since living here and find it exceptionally valuable as having items sent to you in Argentina can take weeks, or longer. My mail service in the US notifies me of any items received and if I want, they'll send pics or, if necessary, like mail-in ballots, forward them to me.
Thanks! I may redirect mail to a family member's house. Is there any reason why a mail service company would be superior?

What you may need in 3 to 5 years from now..? only god knows ... ! You may need a new job..!

Thanks! Why do you recommend a Western Union account? Do you recommend bringing a lot of USD for while I'm getting set up locally?
Yes I would bring cash in USD. Enough to get you through the first month maybe. I would then use WU to receive pesos and keep the USD as a cash reserve. Just be careful if you’re staying with friends unless they are very good friends

Thanks! I may redirect mail to a family member's house. Is there any reason why a mail service company would be superior?
Will the family member send your mail here? I have had a mail service for 16 years. A great help.

Mail service providers have the quick options/supplies to deal with items sent to you that may be important.

All above suggestions are good, but let me add a few less practical ones.

Take a last long look around you. Visit all your favorite places one last time. Spend some time with the relatives and friends you love best, especially the older ones, who may not be alive when you come back in 3-5 years.

If you like your weed, smoke your fill, because the cannabis situation here is wretchedly bad.

Gorge yourself on Mexican food, if you like it, because there's damn sure none to be had here that's worth a damn. Truly Divine beef, yes. Mexican food, no.

If you're male and straight, take a bit to truly appreciate American women, because while Argentine women can be delightful in their own way, they are very, very different.

Make some provision for, and give some thought to, the possibility that it may be more than the planned 3-5 years before you get back stateside. Because life consists of what happens to us instead of what we had planned.

Back