Les Luthiers

Matiasba

Registered
Is there anybody a fan of Les Luthiers? For the ones who dont know is a muscian-commedian group that create their own instruments. (thats the meaning of luthier in french)
Is well known and respected in all spanish speaking countries. Its a very classy humour. They started targetting a very selected public as audience, with a very sophisticated humour in university in the sixties, but then they got more and more popular. The best work probably are from the 70s and 80s, the first decade or so.
They are together with Mafalda the best exp<b></b>ression of Argentine culture during the XXth century, a fare of the region. They even went to New York and made a number completely in english!! and also went several times to Brazil and translated to portuguese as well!!
Today they spend more time in Spain than in Argentina, they are very popular there, but all Latin America LOVES them. Its not for the masses though.
Its like Monty Phyton but more varied, creative, with more quality in my opinion.

(You have to understand spanish).

one of my favorites

Is there anybody a fan of Les Luthiers? For the ones who dont know is a muscian-commedian group that create their own instruments. (thats the meaning of luthier in french)
Is well known and respected in all spanish speaking countries. Its a very classy humour. They started targetting a very selected public as audience, with a very sophisticated humour in university in the sixties, but then they got more and more popular. The best work probably are from the 70s and 80s, the first decade or so.
They are together with Mafalda the best exp<b></b>ression of Argentine culture during the XXth century, a fare of the region. They even went to New York and made a number completely in english!! and also went several times to Brazil and translated to portuguese as well!!
Today they spend more time in Spain than in Argentina, they are very popular there, but all Latin America LOVES them. Its not for the masses though.
Its like Monty Phyton but more varied, creative, with more quality in my opinion.

(You have to understand spanish).

one of my favorites

I only saw them once, in the 1980s, but they are wildly amusing even if your Spanish is less than perfect (mine is far better now than it was then, but some of the idiomatic language and cultural references would still be a challenge). Well worth seeing.

I might compare them to the Bonzo Dog Band (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hcZ4s9cvpw) rather than Monty Python (there was overlap between the Bonzos and the Pythons, though).

Think P.D.Q. Bach in spanish with lots of clean humor and word games. Also very good musicians, mostly self taugh, I think.

They were the first live show I saw after moving here. They are WONDERFUL and so creative! A national treasure!

Actually THAT would be a fun and upbeat outing for some of us on this website to meet someday!

Back