Level of spanish needed to survive BA

In reality, I know a few people that literally speak around 10 words of spanish...they just seem to always use english and get by amazingly well considering...

One thing I would add about Spanish: you can get by in most day to day situations with only minimal Spanish. Mine is pretty good, but I still find difficult situations that deal with institutions/bureaucracies/etc., because I don't know how things work (over the phone is particularly difficult). I think it really depends how much you're here as a tourist (not nearly as much Spanish needed) or whether you're actually living here.

You wont have too many problems here with your english, at least out at restaurants, shops etc. Many people speak at least speak a little english, with generally the younger generation speaking well. Like others have said, it gets interesting when you need to deal with banks, internet, phones, govt institutions etc, albeit you will find most of the time you can find people that speak english.

I would suggest doing as much as you can both before you come (it certainbly wont hurt) and then when you get here, enroll in a Spanish class, depending on your money situation I would recommend at least a month, preferably 2. Or private lessons (if affordable). Going on personal experience I would not recommend a tourist school, but rather UBA.

There are also plenty of opportunities for language swaps (ie your english with someones spanish), to be honest you need to start talking ASAP and with a local, that is what is going to improve your Spanish.

It depends on the person (for eg I dont think I am a natural in languages!) but it is a process and it requires patience, having said that it makes you feel proud to see the progress. I came with basically none and after 9 months albeit I would only be intermediate I am fairly comfortable day to day. I do have an Argentine girlfriend who is good for practice and also get and hear a lot at work given all my colleagues are Spanish speakers.

ok all right money changing is not a big problem in anywhere if the exchanger should be of good reputation

But ElQueso, can't you pay for the guarantee insurance? Does that not work? I know it's expensive but isn't it a possibility?

Also, Nadiene, I don't have a guarantor. I rent in Palermo, an upscale neighborhood that I love. I pay six months at a time at $500 a month, plus real estate commission, plus expenses in the building for a furnished one-bedroom with balcony but a not very well furnished living room. I normally would look for something different but, as El Queso said, getting someone to rent to you without guarantee is a challenge. But it can be done. Flexibility helps. I am a good tenant, always pay everything on time, take care of things, and I really think they would rent to me month to month now if they thought I might leave if they didn't. I also think they would upgrade in order to keep me here. Just want you to know it's challenging but it isn't set in stone. Having a very sweet landlord is also my good fortune.

So while there are challenges, I still think the territory is maneuverable, depending on what compromises you are willing to make.

arlean said:
But ElQueso, can't you pay for the guarantee insurance? Does that not work? I know it's expensive but isn't it a possibility?

We looked into that about 6 months ago, primarily for my wife's brothers. One of the problems seems to be credit, the need for a bank account, etc.

My wife finally got a real checking account established about a month ago. It took about 18 months of having a caja de ahorro and maintaining balances, paying off payments made at stores using the debit card, etc. After six months they raised her payment limit (amount in payments you had to cover each month - interest-free payments, BTW), at the end of a year gave her an Amex credit card, and now a full checking account with a Visa credit card and a fairly large line of credit. It's the most basic checking account her bank offers.

Included in this account now may be the ability to purchase a guarantee. But one problem is the ever-watching eye of AFIP. We may have a problem explaining the rent we afford based on the size of guarantee we purchase.

Also, I've heard (from a real estate agent) that many owners won't accept the insured guarantee. That was a couple of years ago - things may have changed.

It's one reason I've thought about Paraguay for so long. It's easy and relatively cheap to form a corporation there. It's easy to get a one year temporary residency (about a week). There are no laws against getting people out of a house they're not paying for and property prices are significantly lower. Import and export tariffs are much lower (though there is still corruption and red tape to be dealt with). Little personal income tax and a reasonable corporation income tax.

Of course, recent events in Paraguay prove that it's not any better off politically than Argentina in many ways...

But to tie my comments about all of this into the topic of the thread: :)

Temporarily here you can get along with little Spanish. I know many who do just fine with not too much more than "si, por favor, gracias, no entiendo". Medium to long term, there are so many things, including negotiating with real estate agents and owners, that make at least passable Spanish necessary.

Paraguay requires much more Spanish (though still possible to be sure), and Guarani would be admired ;)

Cordobese said:
In reality, I know a few people that literally speak around 10 words of spanish...they just seem to always use english and get by amazingly well considering...

If you can learn the following three words, you'll be fine.

"Hola, tengo dolares."

In the US if you are a Spanish speaker you just "PRESS 2 for SPANISH" and you can speak in your native language. Every effort is being made to accommodate Spanish speakers. Even ballots for voting are now written in Spanish. Here there are few concessions to English speaking long term residents. That seems reasonable to me. After all, this is a Spanish speaking country. The tourist sector could improve English, though. CFK says she is improving education but there are few signs that English language skills are getting better. Maybe that's because she resents globalization and wants to isolate Argentina from the rest of the world, especially North America and Europe.

English is not difficut as is the spanish what you think for searching jobs
follow
search50 a search engine

Back