Live music

msachen

Registered
Hello expats. In town for a couple weeks and am partial to instrumental jazz rock fusion i.e. Matteo Mancuso, Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Steve Morse, etc. Any clubs, venues, local artists that I should know about? Thanks!
Mike

the first rule of Argentina- eat local. which means you are only here for a bit, seek what is here, rather than seek the familiar.That said, you should see who is playing at Club Be-Bop, Cafe Berlin, Thelonius, and see if you cant catch a concert of guitarist Fernando Kabusacki, who plays in some of the styles you reference, along with many others. He is a member of Robert Fripp's League of Crafty Guitarists, and the Seattle based band the Electric Gauchos, and he plays guitar on Charlie Garcia's new album.
He represents how uninterested in genre "siloing" argentine musicians are. One day, a musician will be playing at the opera house, Teatro Colon, the next doing a solo electronic gig in a bar, then doing a guest role as a radio station pianist in a 1940s set movie.
The jazz guys play with the rock guys play with the electronic guys play with the classical guys, and half of em are girls.
The same with venues. Thelonius is always jazz, and Be-bop is mostly jazz, but strict lines are seldom observed, and anyone could be playing pretty much anywhere...

I would also suggest you go to pretty much any show here- https://caff.ar/
the actual banda La Fernandez Fierro would be my first suggestion, but they basically dont book bad acts. Its a small, funky, very argentine place to see very authentic argentine music.

Thanks for the response! I just bought tickets for Fernando Kabusacki playing this Tuesday. I’ll check out all the venues. Peace, Mike

Back