Living in BA with kids... Is it possible?

I was browsing the old forums, and noticed that younger expats meet quite often for lunch or dinner. However I have not seen folks with kids doing the same. It might be great to meet, share experiences, and find play mates...

Any thought form the parents out there? [FONT=&quot]My wife and I will visiting Buenos Aires for 5 days from October 16th to October 21st. We would love to meet you all to learn about your BA experience over a dinner, lunch, drinks or coffee. [/FONT]

We moved here almost 2 years ago with our children and couldn't be happier. Buenos Aires is very child-friendly and the people here are all wonderful. I would suggest that you study Spanish before moving, as it can be a difficult adjustment otherwise -- not many Argentines speak English. I had studied for more than 5 years before moving and our kids were very young -- our daughter was fluent in just 5 months.

While you're here you have to go to La Cabrera and have the best steak in the city.

Cheers,

Pete

Delfina said:
Hi Stan!

This blog will help you: http://www.micheleandtom.com/

Delfina! Thanks for plugging our site! Stan, I have info. on our experiences with school, kids, traveling with kids, etc. on the blog (we have 2nd and 4th graders). Take a look and if you have specific questions, you can email me directly. Part of the reason I started the blog was to address the fact that there was little practical information available on the Web before we moved here (lots for Tango enthusiasts and backpackers though). I wanted the real skinny about being an expat with kids, so I have shared what insights we have gained over the last year.

Anyway, we will be traveling elsewhere in Argentina during your trip here, but feel free to drop us a line.

Suerte!

There are several good schools other thatn Lincoln. In CABA you have Isalands Internationalwhich offers the IB programme.
If you'd rather live in a gated community, surrounded by nature. Here in Pilar I can mention:
Northern International
St John's
St Catherine Moorlands
St Matthews
The four schools offer IGCSE & IB programmes

Expat Parents, Bilingual Kids and Argentine Schools

Expats face an array of daily challenges ranging from societal values to language, food and eating habits, gender dynamics, bureaucracy, driving, shopping, etc. And for those of us who are parents, raising and educating our kids would likely top this list as the biggest challenges of all, because they touch the core of what makes us who we are:

Rest of article here:

http://azucar-y-especias.blogspot.com/2010/10/bilingual-kids-and-argentine-schools.html

My (Argentine) partner graduated from St. George's; the breadth and quality of her education seem about 500% better than most schools in the US. She studied several languages, passed the Cambridge A-levels, learned carpentry and advanced physical geography, and went on to attend college at the Sorbonne. And, as Katti mentioned, a school out in the boonies does allow many more sports opportunities (horseback riding, archery, rugby, swimming.)

apart from that,Lincoln is mega expensive.if cost is no issue then fine:I would highly recommend that you stay in Accassuso/San Isdro/Vincente Lopez area as they are lovely places to live.good luck, Howard

Stan, this thread reappeared today so I imagine you have come and gone and had some idea of what your are looking for. In addition to all the valuable comemnts here about private schools being excellent..to which I will also attest, it is important to consider the social stratum to which you will belong when chosing the right school for not only your kids but you as well. St George´s is an expensive school, one of the most prestigious in the country and to which many children of plastic surgeons and government types go (I know 2 of such as it happens!)...you need to be sure your children and you can build a relationship that is meaningful and fulfilled with other parents and kids outside of the school walls. Whilst I would love to say that money or status doesnt matter, it really does in Argentina and your children may be subject to feeling like "the poor kid on the block" unless you are part of that group of people who are visibly as well as actually wealthy and who have the latest of everything. I fear I am not expressing myself very well and will be subject to attacks with this post but I simply want to try and suggest you consider your values re living large/material goods when selecting the children´s school as this will greatly help you settle in and thoroughly enjoy the experience. I have visited the majority of excellent bilingual schools recommended by the US and British embassies and happy to share my albeit subjective and humble thoughts at any time. Best wishes and luck...Argentina has so many good things to offer families once you find your groove.

fifs2, this is something I have been worried about when looking at private schools here. Which schools do you like and what would you suggest is more of a good 'middle class' school? Do they teach the British A level/GCSE System? Thanks very much for your help. Any knowledge of prices would be really appreciated too.

missveronica said:
There are several good schools other thatn Lincoln. In CABA you have Isalands Internationalwhich offers the IB programme.
If you'd rather live in a gated community, surrounded by nature. Here in Pilar I can mention:
Northern International
St John's
St Catherine Moorlands
St Matthews
The four schools offer IGCSE & IB programmes
You may also consider BAICA it is a US school and runs on the US school year. They are smaller than Lincoln and do not offer the sports menu that Lincoln does. Lincoln also offers Lincoln College/Univ 2 to 4 years.

Back