Looking at Argentina for retirement years

Johnny said:
Just FYI on round trips to Florida. I haven't seen a round trip to Miami for under $800US in a long time. Round trips originating in Florida can be much cheaper. I'm flying Aerolineas to Miami in three weeks and paying just short of $1,400US. It's a trip and at a time I couldn't avoid, but that will give you some idea of the fares at the moment. I am sure there are times when they are cheaper, but I think the days of $500US from here to Miami are pretty much gone. Now I'm talking non-stop flights. If you want to endure multiple stops and the hours in the air, then yes, cheaper fares can be found.

I do the MIA-EZE-MIA trip a few times a year. In July of 2009, my nonstop flight was around $700 on Aerolineas.. I've paid more and more with each subsequent trip, and most recently, the cheapest I could find was $1,041 (after a LOT of playing with dates... most fares were in the $1,200 to 1,400 range.) Even with layovers, it's difficult to find anything under $1,000 r/t anymore.

lunalili said:
sure ,not a problem. i just had my 63rd birthday...
Well Happy belated Birthday! A couple of years more ( 65+ ) really does make a big difference at the time of getting health insurance here ( if you already have it, you will be fine ) But for anybody over 65 that is just landing here it gets harder. One tip: Health insurance companies charge a plus when you are past 65 ( or 70 not sure ) the good thing is that if you have already been an affiliate for a good amount of time, say 15 years or 20 years, and only if you ask for it, they will reimburse that plus they started charging. ;)

I wasn't planning to retire to Argentina to save money. Of all the overseas places I've lived, I liked Argentina by far the best. I would have stayed there permanently the last time, had I been able to get residency and work.

Just how much does it cost to join the Hospital Italiano plan, if that is the only one open to people over 65?

I do not know how much HI charges, but you can give them a call or maybe somebody on the board knows?

Back