Looking for advice on importing

buck1252

Registered
I'm looking for advice on importing a computer. The computer is pretty big and the screen is huge, it's a mac pro, and I belive the screen is 20 inches. Right now it's in Virginia, and I'd like to see if anyone has any suggestions on how to get it to BA.

the best way is to have someone bring it as checked baggage when they fly in. Most times, it will pass right thru, with no duty charged.
Of course, if they want to, they can charge you duty, which is a LOT.

But even paying duty, you get the computer here, in one piece.

virtually every shipping technique runs the risk that you will pay a fair amount, and then the computer will be "lost" in transit.

Personally, I am probably going to end up bringing in a Mac Mini, and buying keyboard and screen locally.

I brought my Dell PC and 27" LCD in 2 suitcases. The PC made it fine, but the LCD probably should have been packed better. I had to buy a new one here and paid a lot of money for it.

Unless you have someone to bring it through as luggage.................Forget it.

As the computer is used, I don't think it's necessary to declare it on the customs form, but it even if it is brought in as luggage it may be subject to 50% duty of the retail cost...unless you get lucky and the suitcase is not scanned. A single (used) laptop is usually all that is allowed duty free.

If you have it shipped you will be charged duty on the value of the computer and on the cost of shipping as well.

steveinbsas said:
As the computer is used, I don't think it's necessary to declare it on the customs form, but it even if it is brought in as luggage it may be subject to 50% duty of the retail cost...unless you get lucky and the suitcase is not scanned. A single (used) laptop is usually all that is allowed duty free.

If you have it shipped you will be charged duty on the value of the computer and on the cost of shipping as well.

Steve,

I just got back from EZE two hours ago. They now seem to be scanning everyone (no more random red/green light), and no more customs form issued (at least on this flight). The same was true for me when I traveled last month as well.

buck1252,

If you're mailing the computer here (USPS, FedEx, DHL, etc), be prepared to pay a hefty import duty on it when it arrives. You will also likely have to go through a maze of signatures, stamp fees and forms at EZE to get it out of customs. The process can take several hours, and sometimes more than one visit.

Import duties can be very high on computer equipment. It is often cheaper to buy an economy round-trip ticket to the US, go get it yourself, and bring it with you on the way back to BA.

If you are coming on a tourist visa, customs will be more lenient with you if they catch it on the scanners, as you are assumed to be leaving the country after a short period and taking your stuff back. If you have any kind of residency visa (yes, they will check your passport) they will give you more of a hard time.

The 20" monitor will very likely be a big red flag on the scanners, so be sure to; (a) have well rehearsed reason for bringing a full-size desktop computer (e.g., essential for a work emergency while you vacation in BA, its old equipment, and you're taking it back), (b) make sure the equipment looks "used" (no new packaging, mark it with stickers, scratches, etc), and (c) stick to 100% English only with customs agents (most don't speak it, and will let you go out of frustration). I often get stopped becase I usually bring electronics from the US whenever I travel, and those tips have always worked for me.

There are more threads on this site about this. Do a search on the forums for more info.

Good luck!

Just out of curiosity. I am heading back to BA just for a month to visit friends and am taking my new MacBook Pro. It will be in my hand luggage as I will be using it on the plane. Will that cause any issues at customs?

Back