Looking for ANY kind of work

Brook

Registered
OK. I know I am not the first...and won´t be the last...but I am an Australian traveller who has decided to stay in BA, so am looking for cash work. (Please note, I have almost no Spanish!)

My training and previous life was in TV / Radio production but I have also worked as a nanny, run a charity (events, media etc) and more recently worked and trained in Occupational Health and Safety. Having said this, I am basically looking fow ANYTHING.
I have heard some bars and also call centres are options for people in my position, but would love it if anyone has advice on work leads or contacts of any sort.

I also have a TEFL qualification, but no one seems to say anything good about teaching here...

Wish me luck!!

Cheers
Brook

Teaching english probably your best bet, all the other fields you mention are going to be difficult without a way in and good spanish.

Try all the institutes, ask other teachers if they have any students they can't take etc.

Its a long shot but argentina is a very popular location for TV shooting, and they have positions who come up for "angels" - people who act as liason for foreign film crews. You could try contacting production companies offering to help, but I think you'd need spanish for that as well...

Keep an eye on craigslist and all the forums, but your best bet might be teaching english for now.

Hi Brook. We are trying to assemble a small group to organize years of our real-estate business paperwork that has gotten out of control. We prefer a team effort to get it over with in a few days rather than weeks or months.

So if you know any others in your same situation let them and me know too.
This would take several days of work, at a rate of 2 or 3 days a week, at very flexible hours.

Eventually, we would be needing a permanent part-time person to maintain the files once they are reorganized, and to scan documents, pay bills, and run simple errands.

I am considering 15 pesos per work hour as a start. (Sorry we earn in pesos too). However good productivity and vibes at the workplace will be rewarded.

An absolute MUST is that all persons be NON-SMOKERS, and that doesnt mean just not smoking indoors on the job. I´m highly allergic and asthmatic and just the tobacco smell on clothes sets it off.

Anybody interested please call or send me text at 1-55-11-22-835
(sorry, my email is not working lately)
Regards,
Joe

Hey guys,
I have just arrived here in Buenos Aires, and I am hoping to stretch my savings by getting a p/t job. I will be here for 1 year for culinary school, so I manage pretty well in the kitchen. In the past I have held office assistant positions, retail, waitressing, and nannying jobs. My Spanish is good but not perfect, but I am quickly learning! If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate the help! GRACIAS
Charlsi
116-4747-658

Charlsi said:
Hey guys,
I have just arrived here in Buenos Aires, and I am hoping to stretch my savings by getting a p/t job. I will be here for 1 year for culinary school, so I manage pretty well in the kitchen. In the past I have held office assistant positions, retail, waitressing, and nannying jobs. My Spanish is good but not perfect, but I am quickly learning! If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate the help! GRACIAS
Charlsi
116-4747-658

What about cooking dinners at peoples houses? (for those of us who don't have live in cooks!) ;D
Sort of like a reversed closed door restaurant. Just another idea for you.

Hello Brook

A friend of mine from Uk teaches English at home he hardly speaks a word of Spanish he teaches conversation and only can teach from intermediate to advance students, the problem is that sometimes they cancell classes and it is difficult to count on a fix amount of income, but a lot of people need to learn English and if you can have group at home it is even better you can charge them less if not it is not so easy they accept, or have groups and one to one classes, my friend advertises on Buenos Aires Herald and on La Naciòn.
Another clue is to stick leaflest at universities or nearby, anyone today that has a degree and has no English has less opportunities to get a decent job so you see that the market is huge however this is a difficult time but there are always students.
all the best
Reina

Charlsi said:
I will be here for 1 year for culinary school
Culinary school?!?!? :eek:

In Buenos Aires? :eek: :eek:

Day 1: Orientation, then put pasta in boiling water
Day 2: Learn to make pizza/empanadas
Day 3: Learn to make asado (we'll provide the fire, you provide the salt)
Day 4: LUNCH 101 (a.k.a. "A 101 ways to make jamon y queso sandwiches")
Day 5: FRYday: Today we teach you how to put things in oil
Day 6: Remove pasta from boiling water, receive diploma.

What are you going to do for the other 359 days?

;)

Hello Brook

A friend of mine from Uk teaches English at home he hardly speaks a word of Spanish he teaches conversation and only can teach from intermediate to advance students, the problem is that sometimes they cancel classes and it is difficult to count on a fix amount of income, but a lot of people need to learn English...

This is true. A girl I know from England has her students pay up front for the month. Then she has a 24 hour cancellation policy. If her students notify more than 24 hours in advance, then she will try to reschedule or just take that amount out of what is owed the following month. If it is within the 24 hour window, then the class counts.

This is the same policy (24 hours in advance) that the "institutes" use, but they usually invoice at the end of the month and then the teachers get paid in the first or second week of the following month.

An individual teaching one person doesn't carry the same weight that an "institute" supplying 2 to 4 teachers to ~2 to 10 students carries, so charging for the whole month at the start of the month is the best insurance for this. My friend has been doing it for over a year here and before she used that policy in China.

And why do the students accept that if they can get a million other teachers without that policy?

Back