Looking for Community Development, Nonprofit, Public Policy and/or Education Work

sarairuh

Registered
Hello all,

I recently moved to Buenos Aires from San Francisco, CA and am looking for work. I have read a ton of the posts about how hard it is to get a job in the development work world here, but I'm trying to stay optimistic. If you have any job leads, please send them my way.

A little about me:
I graduated from Lewis & Clark College with a double major in International Affairs and Latin America studies. After college, I joined Teach For America (TFA), a growing movement of leaders who work to ensure that kids growing up in poverty get an excellent education, and taught high school Spanish for four years. During that time, I also obtained a masters in Education, worked on TFA's staff as a Senior Content Leader (essentially a data-driven teacher coach), served as a educational consultant for several community centers that provide after-school programing to low-income neighborhoods, and worked for UCLA as a intern teacher coach.

I came to Buenos Aires with the goal of reexploring prior interests, moving out of the classroom into community development work. I am very open to whatever comes my way, but would ideally find a professional opportunity that we refine my current skills, demand me to creatively overcome obstacles in order to best serve my personal and professional community, and expose me to multiple viewpoints, urging me to think more critically for myself and my organization.

Please send any suggestions, job leads, etc. my way!

Yeah, the NGO sector is notoriously difficult to break into here, especially if you're looking for paid work. You might want to try idealistas.org - which is where most NGOs here publish their voluntary and (some) paid positions. The more senior positions are likely be published in international press as they're normally with INGOs.

You might want to take a look at Cimientos (http://www.cimientos.org/), they're an education-focused organization that may fit your profile.

I also suggest volunteering first at an organization that appeals to you, as a way to build experience and contacts.

Best of luck!

Back