Looking for expat advice and knowledge

I live in BA since 2010 and I have a very happy life. But, if you want a piece of advice, you should come first for a few months, just to know the city, learn the language, meet people, etc. and then you decide if you wanna live here or not. The economic situation isn't as good as I expected, but I can live without problems (though I'm not Rockefeller lol).
You should visit the city for a month or 2 and then choose your destiny :)
good luck !

Eclair said:
There's a few expats that have found happiness here, especially outside of the city. I don't want to speak for them, but it is possible to live here and be content especially if you don't care about material possessions at all. And by material possessions - I mean pretty much everything from cars to hair dryers.

I am actually very happy with the material goods I have been able to find in Argentina, from my hair dryer which is six years old to my Peugeot 405 which is 18 years old and looks and runs like new. Prior to my move to the country I was able to furnish my home by buying on Mercado Libre as well as from expats who were leaving Argentina. This included a nearly new Rosen bed (set) for $920 pesos (current retail price over $4000, and a sofa (in new condition) for $840 pesos (current retail price over $4500).

I was also able to buy an Ariston washing machine and dryer on Mercado Libre for less than $1000 pesos each (both in nearly new condition). Earlier this year I bought a 5L Rival crockpot in perfect condition for $40 pesos.

Since my move I have been able to find everything I need in the nearby town and city, including health care professionals who accept my Medicus plan (now just over $800 pesos per month for full coverage with no deductible or copay). As much as I am happy with the material goods, I am far happier with the quality of life I have where I am now. I don't even have a desire to take a vacation.

PS: Used cars are crazy expensive here compared to the US: $6000 USD for a 16 year old Peugeot 405 (purchased in 2010) but insurance is much cheaper: Current rate for highest level of coverage available: $225 pesos/month ($50 USD).

Welcome Timmie,

Expect prices to be 10% - 20% higher by the end of the year.
You'll be arriving as the summer break starts, school's out, everyone is prepping for the holiday season, either buying presents or counting dimes for a few days off and expecting the government to drop a bomb on us as they normally do.

You and a million souls will head to MDQ (aka Mar del Plata), won't be solo for a long time.

titian red said:
Hi all. I am considering, quite strongly, on moving to Argentina. I have done a lot of research these past few years and it seems that Argentina is a land that has everything I could possibly hope for in a country, in a people and a culture. I have thought about Canada, where I have relatives and France, where I don't but I love wine and cheese and speak some French, but for me, I think Argentina suits me best of all.
With that said, I joined this expat group to begin a dialogue, get some much needed advice and hopefully, make some new friends and connections prior to making my big move. I haven't picked a date yet, but could conceivably go at a moments notice. I would like to learn more about finding employment, even though I freelance and am an entrepreneur, and also, and perhaps most importantly, what advice I can get on doing this solo, as a single woman.
I am an old fashioned country girl for the most part, but do love city things on occasion. I am a trained dancer and always dreamt of becoming a great tango artist. I garden organically and practice permaculture and I love the great outdoors, jiking, camping, fishing, etc. I live a pretty quiet life, as a writer, I spend hours a day writing, reading and just thinking.
I have 2 adult children here in the States and I suppose I still feel they "need' me, even though it is clear that they don't.
I guess I am also looking for someone, or several someone's to talk me into this big adventure before it is too late. Well thanks so much for reading my post and I hope I hear from all of you soon.
Ciao,
Jacqueline

Titian - to quote the old cliche - you only regret the things you don't do rather than the things you do- this sounds like a burning desire for you so why not give it a shot? What have you got to lose by coming to stay for a month and put your toe in the water - there's tons of weekly or monthly furnished rentals all over the city so it's not like you have to commit anything other than money & your time to dance tango and mingle with the locals and see if this dream can be a reality. October/November is especially gorgeous in Bsas as the jacaranda trees start blooming their vibrant purple. When you're in Bsas you can start planning trips to other possible areas to live such as Mendoza, Cordoba, Rosario etc etc..the options are endless...but it will all be easier and more realistic once you're in Argentina.

In spite of many expats who have felt or do feel negative about the city many will not say they regretted the move. Jump..the water is quite nice once you're in!

steveinbsas said:
I am actually very happy with the material goods I have been able to find in Argentina

:) Somehow I take it you're not very materialistic. Not saying that I am, but you have to admit you get better value for your money in the US and Europe, generally speaking. ;)

And with import restrictions plus inflation, getting the goods you want (or need) is getting ever more difficult. You have to search a lot more to find good value and not feel like you're getting ripped off. At least that's been my experience... I find myself making lists of things to buy when I return to the US, but I suppose I haven't really cut the cord to my home country or decided on this one yet. :p

But yes, you can live a nice life here. :)

Eclair said:
:) Somehow I take it you're not very materialistic....but you have to admit you get better value for your money in the US and Europe, generally speaking. ;)

... I find myself making lists of things to buy when I return to the US...

Actually, I am fairly materialistic and I like quality, especially when it comes to clothes and shoes. I am tall and need clothes that fit well and withstand repeated washing without shrinking or coming apart at the seams.

I spent two months in San Francisco (CA) in 2008 shopping in thrift shops, buying clothes (mostly jeans, shirts, and sweaters as well as a few jackets and sport coats, and shoes) as well as new curtains sheets and towels from Target (purchased at Goodwill). In two trips I brought back nine suitcases (all purchased at Goodwill and all but one weighing 100 lbs at check in) as well as two carry on bags that easily weighed 40 lbs each.

The average cost of a pair of jeans was $9 USD, sweaters: $7 USD and sport coats and outerwear $15 USD. Most of the jeans were Levis and Wrangler. The shirts were by many manufacturers and some were high end imports from Europe. The sport coats were by Zegna, and the outerwear by Columbia and REI. Everything I bought was in newcondition. It was obvious many items had never been worn or laundered, especially the ones that still had the original store tags.

If it wasn't for that, I would be very unhappy with the quality of similar items if I had to purchase them in Argentina. I don't really need sport coats where I am now but how could I resist a cashmere Zenga sport coat that fit me perfectly and cost five dollars?

titian red said:
Hi all. I am considering, quite strongly, on moving to Argentina. I have done a lot of research these past few years and it seems that Argentina is a land that has everything I could possibly hope for in a country, in a people and a culture. I have thought about Canada, where I have relatives and France, where I don't but I love wine and cheese and speak some French, but for me, I think Argentina suits me best of all.
With that said, I joined this expat group to begin a dialogue, get some much needed advice and hopefully, make some new friends and connections prior to making my big move. I haven't picked a date yet, but could conceivably go at a moments notice. I would like to learn more about finding employment, even though I freelance and am an entrepreneur, and also, and perhaps most importantly, what advice I can get on doing this solo, as a single woman.
I am an old fashioned country girl for the most part, but do love city things on occasion. I am a trained dancer and always dreamt of becoming a great tango artist. I garden organically and practice permaculture and I love the great outdoors, jiking, camping, fishing, etc. I live a pretty quiet life, as a writer, I spend hours a day writing, reading and just thinking.
I have 2 adult children here in the States and I suppose I still feel they "need' me, even though it is clear that they don't.
I guess I am also looking for someone, or several someone's to talk me into this big adventure before it is too late. Well thanks so much for reading my post and I hope I hear from all of you soon.
Ciao,
Jacqueline

Hi!
Almost 9 years I live here. Indeed for cheeses, Argentina sucks (like do the two American continents), but Argentineans wines are quite good.

You talk about "finding employment" (forget about the idea of "finding employment" if I may say so).... Fine. Getting paid in USD or EUR is the key, as of now, here, otherwise you'll run into problems.

Being a single woman might be a slight disadvantage but if you have an entrepeneur mind, things should be ok.

If you intend to live outside of a big city here for your first years, that's fine, but not too far way (at least at the beginning).

Again, it's because right now many people talk about leaving Argentina that it's the right time to come in (Argentinean logic).

Bonne chance

My small piece of adivce,come and live here for a year first to see if you like it. Tango is not easy to assimilate for a foreigner. I have been dancing it for nearly 15 years, and even used to teach/perform in London, (also trained in contemporary, some ballet) and only recently feel that I'm getting there!

Back