Looking for suggestions regarding presents to take to the UK.

I can pass you the info of an amazing silversmith in San Antonio de Areco. He's made belt buckles for us, necklaces (well, the pendant, you buy the chain), key chains, etc. He'll make any design for you. I love them and everyone we've given them to has loved them as well.

The best gift you can give them is your smile and your presence in their home.....

Then invite them here . How many will come on a realistic basis?

Semi precious jewelry, Cufflinks, letter openers :)rolleyes:) of Argentinian famous semi precious stones. Onyx Chess sets..!

Manufacture of stone crafts, jewelry with semiprecious stones. Rhodochrosite, Lapis Lazuli, Onyx of all colors, Fluorite. Mates, Facones. etc. - Delgado 1461 (1426) Belgrano, Capital ..., Semiprecious stones in the Federal Capital.

The Manolo Alfajores from Mar del Plata are rather different and rather nice but if you've been coming and going for years and the gifts are for the same friends and family as always, why don't you do what I do and ask people what they would like you to bring them?

Your replies are much appreciated. Belt buckles and jewellery sound interesting. However my family and friends are a fussy lot so probably wouldn't like what I like and I don't have the inclination to spend time on procuring such things anyway.

The best gift you can give them is your smile and your presence in their home.....

Then invite them here . How many will come on a realistic basis?

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Given the number of years we've been here they probably won't expect an Argentine gift anyway....the novelty of us living here has long worn off for them. We'll just take them out for a bite to eat and a drink instead. As to inviting them here....you're right, 10 years here and we're still waiting for our first visitor to come. :D

The Manolo Alfajores from Mar del Plata are rather different and rather nice but if you've been coming and going for years and the gifts are for the same friends and family as always, why don't you do what I do and ask people what they would like you to bring them?
Just to add... This is what I do in both directions. When I arrive I bring cocoa powder, custard powder (move over crema pastelera!) gravy granules, curry spices and more - and that's for the Argentines around me. The big bag of Sainsbury's Red Label is for me :)

As to inviting them here....you're right, 10 years here and we're still waiting for our first visitor to come. :D

We've had two lots come twice and one lot once and are working on a few other folks as well. IMO It's much easier to invite people back once they've visited for the first time and banished the stereotypical views so many people have before they arrive.

If I'm being honest the longer we've been here the less I've encouraged friends and family to visit us. I'd far rather visit them and take advantage of the shopping opportunities while there. Three years since our last visit is far too long though. If we decide to stay here for the duration I shall insist that the we take two trips a year to the UK in order that I remain sane.

If you wanna impress them with something unique, take some rugged boleadoras for them to hang on the wall,pretty authentic Argentine gift that not many know about:cool:

mc kenna is right - boleadoras are pure Argentina, muy gaucho. (Do people still say as a compliment "es muy gaucho de usted"? I always liked that.) My problem was my boys desire to try the boleadoras out on anything that moved in our neighborhood, including their friends.

Back