Looking for teaching work

Rhiana Jenkins

Registered
Hi, I'm trying desperately to come to Argentina and have been trying to find English teaching work. I'm Australian, thus a native speaker, I'm already TESOL qualified and have a Science degree. I'm also a swimming instructor.

I can't find anything advertised online and the visa's are a bit of a catch 22. Can't get a visa without job offer, can't get job without visa??

If anyone is English teaching in Argentina, I'd appreciate any advice or tips; or if anyone reading this knows of work opportunities, I'd of course love to hear from you.

All else failing, I'm thinking of coming over on a visitors visa and will just see how it all goes one I'm there! or maybe coming over to study Spanish, thus at least I would have a student visa and could apply for work once there?! what do you think?

Any comments, advice or info greatly appreciated
Adios!

If you really find it that difficult, you should just come (like you suggested) and see how things go once you are here. A friend of mine from San Diego, CA did the same and got a job asap as an english teacher (private one though... Like some sort of teacher for executives).

Anyway, If that doesnt work for you, you can always work as something else. I could lend you a hand if you need it.

My suggestion: Come anyway and then see how it goes. Finding a job while you are here is easier than from abroad and if the employer thins you are right for the job, he will do the paperwork for you (if they are cool enough. In most cases, they will).

Good luck,
Pablo.

HolyCow said:
If you really find it that difficult, you should just come (like you suggested) and see how things go once you are here. A friend of mine from San Diego, CA did the same and got a job asap as an english teacher (private one though... Like some sort of teacher for executives).

Anyway, If that doesnt work for you, you can always work as something else. I could lend you a hand if you need it.

My suggestion: Come anyway and then see how it goes. Finding a job while you are here is easier than from abroad and if the employer thins you are right for the job, he will do the paperwork for you (if they are cool enough. In most cases, they will).

Good luck,
Pablo.

I agree, except the employer doing paperwork for you part. This almost never happens for foreign English teachers. If it is important to you to be legal here while teaching (i.e. not live on renewing a 3-month tourist visa indefinitely), you should really look into finding a job in a bilingual private school. Since you have a degree in science, you might be a great candidate for teaching science classes in English in a biliingual school. These schools are much more likely to be willing to process your work papers and thus residency than your run-of-the-mill English institute, who will almost never hire a foreign teacher legally (it´s aaaaall under the table, or ´en negro´). Of course, this doesn´t stop zillions of Americans, Brits, Aussies, Canadians, etc from coming here and teaching this way! It´s just the way it is, so you should come being aware of that.

That said, if you´re coming for a year or less, really I´m not sure it´s even all that worthwhile to you to get residency. Immigrations here is a pain in the ass, and you will spend money on getting residency as well. It will also take probably 6 months for you to get your residency... Although, I´m not sure, are Australians charged the reciprocacy fee of like 70 USD EVERY time they enter the country? This would make the visa renewal business somewhat more expensive for Aussies...

Good luck with your search, Buenos Aires is an exciting place, but not without its challenges of course :)

I wouldn't expect you to manage to be able to support yourself with just teaching. A lot of people come here thinking that they can but it ends up being extremely hard with a lot of traveling around the city.

Forget it get it not that good here and you won't get ajob.....migraciones are getting strict.....lots of expats trying to make a living here teaching english...its hell and places to live in ba are expensive.....my friend from new zealand works from 10am till 10pm just to pay the bills,,,,well suerte rhi....my daughter is called rhianna

Back