Looking to import from New York.

caspar23

Registered
Hello all!

I'm looking for some advice or a contact that can give me some direction in regards to importing product from New York to Buenos Aires.

I would like to know the following:

Import duty, I know this depends on product, and shipment cost.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

caspar23 said:
Hello all!

I'm looking for some advice or a contact that can give me some direction in regards to importing product from New York to Buenos Aires.

I would like to know the following:

Import duty, I know this depends on product, and shipment cost.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
You need some real research if you are going to do business. And this is the wrong place for that. But, I'll give you a clue. Roughly figure that your landed cost, and out of the port totsl will be about 170% of your base cost [not including bribes]. Argentina is not friendly to imports and the various fees, taxes, bribes and delays will kill you. Oh yeah and the paperwork just might drive you insane depending on the product.

If you just want a few items for personal use go to www.skybox.net. This is a LANChile service that lets you buy online in the US with a credit card and the stuff is delivered to your door, legally, in about a month. The total cost is generally double what you payed for the product. So if you go on Amazon and buy a toaster for $50 a total of about $100 will end up being charged to your credit card by the time it gets to you. It could be more than double depending on size, weight, etc.

On the other hand, if you want to do any serious importing, god help you. You definitely need a dispachante aduana, but understand that, though there are undoubtedly exceptions, this is a very shady bunch. At first you will be told that it's no problem. You'll be given a summary of the charges and procedures required by law. It will seem expensive, but not prohibitive. Once the products leave the US, however, things will begin to change. Unforseen 'complications' will arise. There was no way to know about these unfortunate complications, of course, but luckily your 'agent' has connections and can resolve the situation. It won't cost too much extra. So you pay. Rinse, lather, repeat. The further in you get the more it costs to walk away. Welcome to Argentina.

If Ye do decide to abandon all hope and enter here, start with a SMALL shipment and see what happens. Careful, though, your 'agent' will probably know you're doing this and make sure there are no problems until the big shipment comes through. You have to do many shipments, incrementing the amount slowly so there's no obvious point for them to turn the screw. At the first sign of trouble, walk away, tell them you'll take the full loss, you have no interest in pursuing the matter. You'll get a phone call in a day or so to patch things up. Agree to the extra fee, but NOTHING up front. You'll pay the fee when the truck offloads the stuff in your warehouse.

The current government is heavily protectionist and wants no major importing of any kind, particularly new players. So all the difficulties you'll encounter are ultimately sanctioned by and even encouraged by the government, so it will be a tough road to hoe. Not impossible, but not for the faint hearted.

Good Luck!

ghost said:
Argentina is not friendly to imports and the various fees, taxes, bribes and delays will kill you. Oh yeah and the paperwork just might drive you insane depending on the product.

This is all true but before scaring the guy to death it would be good to know what he's planning to import. There must be items worth the trouble or we wouldn't have imported products at all and we have plenty of them, so someone abroad worked it out and is obviously making money.

amos said:
At first you will be told that it's no problem. You'll be given a summary of the charges and procedures required by law. It will seem expensive, but not prohibitive. Once the products leave the US, however, things will begin to change. Unforseen 'complications' will arise. There was no way to know about these unfortunate complications, of course, but luckily your 'agent' has connections and can resolve the situation. It won't cost too much extra. So you pay. Rinse, lather, repeat. The further in you get the more it costs to walk away. Welcome to Argentina.

That reminds me the first time I came to Argentina on vacation (when I was living in the US). I called the Argentine Embassy in NY and asked if I could enter the country (MY country) with some of the musical instruments I bought in the US. The said there was "no problem at all" and I just needed to fill a "Temporary Import Waiver" upon arrival. It wasn't anything big... just me, coming home with a few things on a regular flight. As soon as I arrived I was told that such waiver was only for foreigners, not Argentine naturals, and that I had to pay the fee (an EXTRATERRESTRIAL amount) or my stuff would be confiscated and held in a warehouse until I left. I tried to stay calm and I made a phone call and ask for advice and I was warned if I chose to leave my things there there was a good chance I wouldn't see them again. It was IMPOSSIBLE for me to pay the "fee" and when the officer saw my frustration... yeah. EXACTLY. "Go to the restroom and put US$ 300 in your passport, then come back". Feeling frustrated, humiliated and so angry my stomach burned, I followed the directions and paid the guy as I kissed my dignity good-by. It takes two to tango. No wonder this is tango land. You may wonder why I'm telling this here... The last three words in your paragraph rang the bell of irony. What did the officer say when I grabbed my stuff and left? "Welcome to Argentina".

The current government is heavily protectionist and wants no major importing of any kind, particularly new players. So all the difficulties you'll encounter are ultimately sanctioned by and even encouraged by the government, so it will be a tough road to hoe. Not impossible, but not for the faint hearted.

If that's so, it pretty much answers my reply to Ghost.

Good Luck!

Ditto.

Hache said:
That reminds me the first time I came to Argentina on vacation (when I was living in the US). I called the Argentine Embassy in NY and asked if I could enter the country (MY country) with some of the musical instruments I bought in the US. The said there was "no problem at all" and I just needed to fill a "Temporary Import Waiver" upon arrival. It wasn't anything big... just me, coming home with a few things on a regular flight. As soon as I arrived I was told that such waiver was only for foreigners, not Argentine naturals, and that I had to pay the fee (an EXTRATERRESTRIAL amount) or my stuff would be confiscated and held in a warehouse until I left. I tried to stay calm and I made a phone call and ask for advice and I was warned if I chose to leave my things there there was a good chance I wouldn't see them again. It was IMPOSSIBLE for me to pay the "fee" and when the officer saw my frustration... yeah. EXACTLY. "Go to the restroom and put US$ 300 in your passport, then come back". Feeling frustrated, humiliated and so angry my stomach burned, I followed the directions and paid the guy as I kissed my dignity good-by. It takes two to tango. No wonder this is tango land. You may wonder why I'm telling this here... The last three words in your paragraph rang the bell of irony. What did the officer say when I grabbed my stuff and left? "Welcome to Argentina".

If that's so, it pretty much answers my reply to Ghost.

Ditto.

All of the above horror stories are true and it only gets worse. I know, I import and it is not a business for those who do not enjoy juggling chainsaws. Welcome to Argentina.

Hi

I work in International Trade as broker/ consultant and have access to information such as import taxes per product , at what price the product you require is being brought in from your and other countires, what tax they are paying what they are paying in terms of insurance, transport, etc....

Send me a message if you'd be interested in exploring/ researching into the products you are interrested in bringing in.
Regarding the hassles it is fundamental to have a good customs agent who knows his way around.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.

best,

B.

Back