Lupini Beans

The preparation method (soaking) I followed was Portuguese. It wasn't until a day ago that I found the Italian recipe in the link I posted above (this one). Seems like a much better recipe than just salting and drying. I haven't found the sweet ones. These I have are definitely bitter. You can taste it in the initial soaking days just by dipping a finger in the water and tasting. That's actually how they recommend testing for alkaline in the water, but not until after 10 days. I found the 14-day prep was pretty accurate. The beans then get cooked for an hour and soak in the water for 5 hours. The water from cooking is not bitter at all, today. The beans are pretty meaty and easy to pop out of their hull. Not bad at all as is, but I'm sure with the brine and olives they will be pretty good.

What recipe are you following? I read an Italian recipe and they indicate about 5 days of preparation: 12 hrs soaking, 1 hr boiling, then again soaking for 5 days with salted water, changing water twice per day.

It is also stated that there are two kind of lupini: the bitter ones and the sweet ones (the latter used just to make lupini flour). The good thing is that you can do a large quantity and store them pickled in a jar (wash and peel them before eating). I have only tried them toasted and salted, ready-made - I was not impressed.

lupinicollage.jpg

Back