Lupini Beans

GMXam

Registered
These little beans take 14 days to prep (soak and change water daily over 14 days). Has anyone tried them? If you like them, how were they prepared (in a soup, in a salad, as is after boiling, etc)? Apparently, the soaking time is primarily for de-bittering the beans, hence the need to change the water daily). Just wondering what to expect in two weeks...

Ha ha, I know. I'm on the fence now...even though the beans are in a bowl of water as I type. There are so many other bean options. They just happened to be right next to the garbanzos so I figured I'd give them a try before researching their prep and the risks of alkaloid poisoning (what!).

Why would you bother?

So how are those little lupinis doing? Do you check in the morning to make sure none of the little buggers escaped during the night? I think I heard they're prone to violence, so it's important that they don't get into the cutlery.

About half-way now? Be careful!

Not half-way, yet. Only 2 days in, now. 12 more days of rinsing to go.

They are one of the highest protein sources of beans, cholesterol free, great source of fiber, high in amino acids (for those that want to bulk without animal proteins), and probiotic. I hope all that and the taste are worth the 14 days of rinsing and taking up space in my fridge. If you do plan to make these and your kitchen gets as warm as my kitchen, it's best to keep them in the fridge while soaking to slow any bacteria growth.

I've been rinsing them every time I make a meal in the kitchen. Apparently, lupin poisoning is a risk if you don't prepare them properly (rinsing and soaking for an adequate amount of time to reduce the alkaloid content). The symptoms are pretty scary.

Also, if you have a peanut allergy, these should be on your list to avoid.

Wow! They sound about as diet-friendly as blowfish sushi! I greatly respect vegetarians capable of the research and effort needed to find and prepare protein-rich foods like these little lupinis.

Me, I'm way too lazy - got a good parilla a couple blocks away and I'm already too old to worry about shortened life expectancy. I am curious about how they taste, though. Please keep us updated.

Lupini's are done soaking the alkaline away. Tomorrow, they go into a brine with olives for four weeks. Anyone willing to try some in 4 weeks, let me know.

By the way, I found a much shorter prep method (after the fact) that tells how you are supposed to eat them, too, here. Looks promising!

So how are those little lupinis doing? Do you check in the morning to make sure none of the little buggers escaped during the night? I think I heard they're prone to violence, so it's important that they don't get into the cutlery.

About half-way now? Be careful!

Lupini's are done soaking the alkaline away. Tomorrow, they go into a brine with olives for four weeks. Anyone willing to try some in 4 weeks, let me know.

By the way, I found a much shorter prep method (after the fact) that tells how you are supposed to eat them, too, here. Looks promising!
The recipe looks interesting. I'd like to try it at least once. Where did you find the beans?

T/

These little beans take 14 days to prep (soak and change water daily over 14 days). Has anyone tried them? If you like them, how were they prepared (in a soup, in a salad, as is after boiling, etc)? Apparently, the soaking time is primarily for de-bittering the beans, hence the need to change the water daily). Just wondering what to expect in two weeks...

What recipe are you following? I read an Italian recipe and they indicate about 5 days of preparation: 12 hrs soaking, 1 hr boiling, then again soaking for 5 days with salted water, changing water twice per day.

It is also stated that there are two kind of lupini: the bitter ones and the sweet ones (the latter used just to make lupini flour). The good thing is that you can do a large quantity and store them pickled in a jar (wash and peel them before eating). I have only tried them toasted and salted, ready-made - I was not impressed.

lupinicollage.jpg

I purchased them from New Garden, right next to the garbanzos. Cheaper than the garbanzos at the time, too.

The recipe looks interesting. I'd like to try it at least once. Where did you find the beans?

T/

Back