Luxury cars in Buenos Aires

SecretShopper

Registered
What is the luxury car scene like in BA. Most other major cities in Latin America have a high concentration of BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. Even with a decent selection of super cars. Is it the same in BA?

They exist but most common to see are Audi and Mercedes Benz. Both of which have models made here. I feel you see more of them on the roads here than in Brazil for example - perhaps due to concentration of urban areas here.

Imported brands such as Porsche and Jaguar are far less common although there are some dealers. In PM there is an unofficial Maclaren dealership - however have yet to see one actually driving on the streets. At most, if you’re very very lucky you may see an older model Ferrari on the roads - so definitely not a super car scene at all. Those that really want them usually ship in them in on a DHL flight from MIA and pay the tax.

At times luxury cars - especially those made here - can be a bargain to buy here (due to FX brechas and / or financing options) while at most other times they can be much more expensive than abroad due to both import taxes (50%) and/ or a luxury car tax (generally 35%) and VAT (10,5%) and other taxes all added on top often adding up to more than 200%. Ownership entails further taxes, including wealth tax, and a raft of other vehicle ownership fees and costs.

Armoring of vehicles here is not very common as elsewhere in the region and hence many people prefer not to drive luxury vehicles due to security concerns (its relatively common to see Audi’s and similar involved in armed robberies - usually in the form of stalking and robbing the victim at home or work.)

more common are BMWs, benzes, and audis. i see the occasional porsche and there is a lambo i see tearing around puerto madero sometimes.

puerto madero and nordelta are probably the main places you're likely to see them. but even then it's not a very high concentration.

They exist but most common to see are Audi and Mercedes Benz. Both of which have models made here. I feel you see more of them on the roads here than in Brazil for example - perhaps due to concentration of urban areas here.

Imported brands such as Porsche and Jaguar are far less common although there are some dealers. In PM there is an unofficial Maclaren dealership - however have yet to see one actually driving on the streets. At most, if you’re very very lucky you may see an older model Ferrari on the roads - so definitely not a super car scene at all. Those that really want them usually ship in them in on a DHL flight from MIA and pay the tax.

At times luxury cars - especially those made here - can be a bargain to buy here (due to FX brechas and / or financing options) while at most other times they can be much more expensive than abroad due to both import taxes (50%) and/ or a luxury car tax (generally 35%) and VAT (10,5%) and other taxes all added on top often adding up to more than 200%. Ownership entails further taxes, including wealth tax, and a raft of other vehicle ownership fees and costs.

Armoring of vehicles here is not very common as elsewhere in the region and hence many people prefer not to drive luxury vehicles due to security concerns (its relatively common to see Audi’s and similar involved in armed robberies - usually in the form of stalking and robbing the victim at home or work.)

Woah those taxes and fees sound insane. I'll definitely have some research to do. Which taxes apply if you bring your own car instead of buying and import from dealers?

because of import duties and "frictional" costs, most imported cars cost double what you think they should. So a Porsche Cayenne can be $200,000 US. You dont see anywhere near as many really expensive cars, but there are some. Cars that are made here, or legally imported by the manufacturer are much more reasonable, so most people drive Fiat/Renault/Citroen/Peugot/VW cars. Also, the city is so dense that having an expensive car means more dents and door dings. There are cool vintage cars, though.

Woah those taxes and fees sound insane. I'll definitely have some research to do. Which taxes apply if you bring your own car instead of buying and import from dealers?
virtually impossible.
If you have legal citizen ship, you can bring ONE car, but its a lot of paperwork, expense, and time. Months, maybe years with Covid. Very few people do this. Its just not worth it.
You have to learn to eat local, if you move to Argentina- in all things. That means working with what is available, and, often, changing your expectations. It is a unique country, and it works the way it works.

Most of the ultra rich local Argentina, I have met here ( I mean, the genuine rich...) do not drive luxury cars here. They drive battered down cars to keep a low profile.

The wealthiest Argentine I ever met, a Spanish gentleman who was the sole representative of Chrysler in Argentina, drove around in a beat up VW beetle. Nowadays, luxury cars are mostly for the nouveau rich, such as drug dealers, union reps, football stars, and politicians. Many of them live in Puerto Madero, and quite a few in Nordelta.

The wealthiest people I know in Argentina, drive mid level VWs too. It's best to keep a low profile and not call unnecessary attention to yourself, especially during economic times when people are so desperate.

I wouldn’t buy an imported car at least 2x what you would pay in Europe and just makes you a target.
There’s some quite nice VWs made in Argentina which I have an eye on.

Back