Luxury cars in Buenos Aires

What I usually do is get a sense of the area before wearing jewelry. But I'm surprised BA is considered more dangerous. Is it actually crimes happening against people or are people just scared? Often in Colombia or Mexico a tourist would tell me I'm brave for wearing jewelry because they think I'm also a tourist. I drove around Mexico city all the time in a bright orange Lotus. Aside from a million looks I didn't have issues.

The danger of Buenos Aires compared to other cities or other countries has been debated here endlessly over the years with opinions all over the place.

What I do know is that most of the wealthy in Argentina try to keep a low profile. Carjackings do happen, thieves have been known to follow luxury cars to their homes and then commit home invasions. Due to distrust in the banking system and tax evasion, Argentines often have large amounts of cash hidden in their homes.

If you come and live in Buenos Aires for a year or two and drive around in a Lotus in the safe neighborhoods, most likely nothing will happen to you, but you do put yourself more at risk.

Only you can decide if the enjoyment of using those cars compensates for the increase in safety risk.

The danger of Buenos Aires compared to other cities or other countries has been debated here endlessly over the years with opinions all over the place.

What I do know is that most of the wealthy in Argentina try to keep a low profile. Carjackings do happen, thieves have been known to follow luxury cars to their homes and then commit home invasions. Due to distrust in the banking system and tax evasion, Argentines often have large amounts of cash hidden in their homes.

If you come and live in Buenos Aires for a year or two and drive around in a Lotus in the safe neighborhoods, most likely nothing will happen to you, but you do put yourself more at risk.

Only you can decide if the enjoyment of using those cars compensates for the increase in safety risk.
From my point of view, you could not be more right.

It's a very smart person who consciously keeps a low profile to avoid a potential problem such as robbery, or a robbery gone wrong that could turn worse, as in a death. Simply not a good trade off.

From my point of view, you could not be more right.

It's a very smart person who consciously keeps a low profile to avoid a potential problem such as robbery, or a robbery gone wrong that could turn worse, as in a death. Simply not a good trade off.
I'd rather plow my money into good food, quality healthcare, leisure time, etc ... (Because I would not have to work.) and the mental security money in the bank can give a person.

I see a Porsche or two a week, in Retiro and Recoleta. Whereas in the USA, I can easily see 2 or 5 an hour, in many cities. You do see big 4 door Mercedes and Audis, often, for some reason, parked in front of Rapanui in Retiro, and I often see pretty big SUVs- I see the occasional Range Rover or Audi Q7. But its rare. They are more common up in the northern suburbs than in the City. There are expensive cars at estancias in the country, but not daily drivers. Remember, Argentina is where they make the best reproduction 1930s Bugatti's in the World- The Pur Sang cars are made here, and sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1927-bugatti-pur-sang-type-45/

but on the streets of the city, you dont see many expensive cars.

I drive down Av. Libertador (a bit Mad Max, not to be recommended) almost every morning and then past Puerto Madero and Casa Rosada into San Telmo. I do see a collection of upmarket SUVs, Porsche Cayennes, VW Touaregs, BMW X1, 3, 5, Audi Qx, Volvo XC60s and 90s, Range Rovers, and so on. Certainly not the most common, but they're there.

**SIGNS of Wealth**

(I believe this should be a new, separate thread.)

If you ask me, an expensive car, home, boat, or something similar, is a sign of someone with the means, but not necessarily the wealth. Especially when you get into countries where financing is available at very attractive rates with a non inflationary environment.

These kinds of things make y be, in a lot of cases, but not all, signs of servitude. I personally know quite a few people who have stuff like I just mentioned. Really high end examples of them, but the owner is working their butt off to make the payment or afford the possession. Then there is the maintenance cost, upkeep, service, insurance, etc ...

They are keeping up with The Joneses. They are competitive, but I don't see much happiness or fulfillment after the newness wears off. Misery actually.

I believe the true wealth (Not BILLIONAIRES or wicked silly millionaires. THEY ARE RICH and probably don't sweat much, if at all.) for that segment of upper middle class / upperclass is measured in LEISURE TIME.

It's the person who has time that is the richest in my view.

Funny thing, a lot more people could fit my wealth definition if they could curb their wants and have a bit less.

JMHO.

virtually impossible.
If you have legal citizen ship, you can bring ONE car, but its a lot of paperwork, expense, and time. Months, maybe years with Covid. Very few people do this. Its just not worth it.
You have to learn to eat local, if you move to Argentina- in all things. That means working with what is available, and, often, changing your expectations. It is a unique country, and it works the way it works.
To be honest living in BA did me good from this aspect, I used to spend a fortune on cars and motorbikes. Now I am far less materialistic and I feel better for the humbling.

Back