Lying game?

travellingbum

Registered
Lying game?
I hear many shopkeepers stash away their coins in a drawer and claim they don't have any change to give.
If I, as a customer claim I don't have the exact change, (even though I'm lying too) and stand firm, surely the shopkeeper will give in? Or so I hope.
It all seems rather silly, and playing this game just exacerbate this chronical shortage of coins in circulation. I imagine it probably doesn't help playing this game, but hell, better you than me.

More questions, this time about the Central Bank.
What time does the Central Banks temporary branch office open in Retiro train station.(To get our 40 pesos' worth) Or maybe it's easier and quicker to go to BCRA's head office in Reconquista 266. We would like to exchange large denomination peso notes into smaller ones and at the same time ensure ourselves we don't receive fake notes. Hopefully notes from the Central bank are genuine! (only kidding). And get a bit of change while we're there as well. I happen to collect coins (not hoarding them) and I'm interested in buying a two-peso coin that came out last year. I understand these two-peso coins are not in general circulation so perhaps we can buy it over the counter at the Central Bank? If they have have visiting hours for the general public, that is. I can't find any info about this on the English version on their website. Thanks.

travellingbum said:
. . . . I hear many shopkeepers stash away their coins in a drawer and claim they don't have any change to give.
If I, as a customer claim I don't have the exact change, (even though I'm lying too) and stand firm, surely the shopkeeper will give in?
So I've found; but I've had the need only once or twice.

travellingbum said:
. . . . maybe it's easier and quicker to go to BCRA's head office in Reconquista 266. We would like to exchange large denomination peso notes into smaller ones and at the same time ensure ourselves we don't receive fake notes. Hopefully notes from the Central bank are genuine! (only kidding). And get a bit of change while we're there as well. I happen to collect coins (not hoarding them) and I'm interested in buying a two-peso coin that came out last year. I understand these two-peso coins are not in general circulation so perhaps we can buy it over the counter at the Central Bank? If they have have visiting hours for the general public, that is. I can't find any info about this on the English version on their website. Thanks.
The casa central of the BCRA is open to anyone. I've changed large notes for smaller and for coins on a lower level, but I think that the same may also be done on the main floor.

As for collectors' coins, you may be better off trying a dealer. There's more than one on Maipú, and on Sarmiento, and, I'm certain, elsewhere.

I once made this local call there in a kiosk that was like a few cents and then I handed this clerk a 5 peso bill and he just shook his head in a gesture of "it's not worth it for me to exchange that for such a small purchase" like he was just about to let me go without paying but then I had to dig a little bit deeper into my pockets to find some small enough change to pay the man. People who make the claim that shopkeepers are stashing away their coins in order to not give change well they're either lying or taking a very rare example and making a fuzz about it. Either way you shouldn't help circulate that story any further.

RWS said:
The casa central of the BCRA is open to anyone. I've changed large notes for smaller and for coins on a lower level, but I think that the same may also be done on the main floor.

I assume the 'casa central' is on Reconquista 266? Thanks.

Back