Machismo and Gender Equality in Argentina

I’m a man (sorry?) but have lived on 3 continents and I must say that Argentina seems to be far more open minded when it comes to women than even the US. Many of the demographics similar to those of Trump voters in the States (blue collar, people living in rural areas, etc) voted for a woman president here with overwhelming majority in 2 elections.
Moreover, if I’m not mistaken Aerolíneas Argentinas had a female CEO for awhile and similar normally male dominated industries have had more female leadership in Argentina than other countries.
That being said, i do agree with the previous poster that whatever “machismo” could be perceived to be is because Argentines are used to a determined routine and actually enjoy it or are at least comfortable with it rather than resent it.

I'm more interested in women's opinions on this. I just noticed there was a woman's forum. I would like to have this post moved to the women's forum and hopefully this will cut down on the mansplaining.

I suggest (if you haven't already done so) that you enter piropo and catcalling (separately) in the search feature of this site (leaving the author space blank and not checking search titles).

I'm more interested in women's opinions on this. I just noticed there was a woman's forum. I would like to have this post moved to the women's forum and hopefully this will cut down on the mansplaining.
[/QUO

Before you leave I am still curious as to whether you are experiencing or observing catcalling on the streets (in the short time you've been here of course). Your mentor's comments on her experience appear to have been significant in shaping your thoughts on your topic. Well, possibly only a small driver, but even so.

Yes on the Toronto part. No on 'she'. I gave my preferred pronouns when I introduced myself.
Maverique - You do not use personal pronouns in speaking of yourself, and in fact I haven't seen any in any of your various threads. What is the usage protocol exactly - i.e., does the "preferred pronoun" rule only apply to those addressing you? Honest question, no experience with this business.

Maverique - You do not use personal pronouns in speaking of yourself, and in fact I haven't seen any in any of your various threads. What is the usage protocol exactly - i.e., does the "preferred pronoun" rule only apply to those addressing you? Honest question, no experience with this business.
The personal pronouns are all gender neutral: I, me, my, mine, and myself.

Here's the Police talking about the importance of pronouns:

Your not doing a great job of explaining how you want to be addressed.
I assume that you want to be addressed as they, them, their, theirs and themselves (alternatively themself)

Is that so?

Here's the Police talking about the importance of pronouns:
Thanks. In my ignorance I feared there was a full range of substitutions to be applied. This (gender neutral) makes sense. Well, logic. Nonetheless the idea of language police (literally!) is something I hadn't expected to encounter in my lifetime, 1984 notwithstanding.

Back