Machismo and Gender Equality in Argentina

Here's another link to a gender related recent post that might interest you: https://baexpats.org/threads/price-is-right-with-a-transvestite.41687/
giphy.gif

I have lived in 3 continents and have travelled to 33 countries and Argentinian woman have the most respect from menfolk than any other society on the planet . I worked here for many years and at the beginning I was very surprised that woman always initiated a closing of a business transaction . Men always deferred to their female partner and her decision was always final . Argentinian woman are very strong and independent more so than Australian or European woman . They have held the most important positions in argentinian society without a glass ceiling . In Australia the ex female prime minister was called every name under the sun by male commentators on television and radio . This was based on her being a woman only .

In Argentina Christina was critized by many not for being a woman but for corruption . I am sure that she even had leeway due to this favourable position in the society that respects the mother more so than any society that I have lived in to date ,

I say to the poster that she put her energy in countries like Afghanistan where woman are severely restricted in where they work and what they wear . I have heard very little outcry from the feminist movement about the gross abuse of female rights in countries like Afghanistan , Saudi Arabia , and lets also mention african countries that perform fgm on young girls that destroy young girlls for life . These are issues of human rights that need to be addressed urgently.

I have lived in 3 continents and have travelled to 33 countries and Argentinian woman have the most respect from menfolk than any other society on the planet . I worked here for many years and at the beginning I was very surprised that woman always initiated a closing of a business transaction . Men always deferred to their female partner and her decision was always final . Argentinian woman are very strong and independent more so than Australian or European woman . They have held the most important positions in argentinian society without a glass ceiling . In Australia the ex female prime minister was called every name under the sun by male commentators on television and radio . This was based on her being a woman only .

Basically, what Perry said.

My experience is the same, based on a half-dozen fewer countries but as many continents. I find Argentine women – in general – to be notably more free, open, and independent, and possessed of more socially evident character and will than the women of more “developed” countries (the United states and Canada to name two). Again, I am generalizing, but the difference always strikes me when I return to Argentina.

Rather than spending energies trolling old/male/white members of this board in English, I’ll suggest some field work at the universities over the next six weeks – UBA and UCA for example, mixing young undergraduate women with faculty. There are various ways to make inroads and I suppose Maverique will have been trained in them. I hope Maverique is fluent in Spanish. It makes a palpable difference in the quality of field work.

Back