Macri will miss ARA San Juan espionage hearing

Maybe he will, and maybe he won't (though if he will, it looks like he'll do so under arrest). Been watching this unfold like a slow train wreck over the last few weeks... unbelievable.

"Family members of the sailors told investigators they were followed and wiretapped, filmed and intimidated into abandoning any claims related to the incident."

If it truly was just an accident, a mishap, then why was Macri's administration so urgently insistent on silencing the family members? To my way of thinking, this implies that something was being hidden.

This is why Argentina shouldn't keep building ships
Built in Germany, only cut in half in Argentina.

Glass houses, stones, cough cough?

I understand the families were frustrated by the delays in finding the sub (not always justifiably, in my opinion, finding stuff at the bottom of the Atlantic isn't easy, as the search for flight AF447 showed). Their protests caused the Macri administration, rather than using normal police resources to deal with the protests, to set the secret service on the families. This is so far over the top that Macri certainly needs to answer for it, instead he's doing the same dance that he did before his cowardly and dangerous (for others) dash to get vaccinated in Miami.

I understand the families were frustrated by the delays in finding the sub (not always justifiably, in my opinion, finding stuff at the bottom of the Atlantic isn't easy, as the search for flight AF447 showed). Their protests caused the Macri administration, rather than using normal police resources to deal with the protests, to set the secret service on the families. This is so far over the top that Macri certainly needs to answer for it, instead he's doing the same dance that he did before his cowardly and dangerous (for others) dash to get vaccinated in Miami.

A legitimate point.
I don't suppose we will ever know for sure what really happened. It will be just one more in a long list of Argentina tragedies, going back a hundred years to the Semana Tragica.

Built in Germany, only cut in half in Argentina.

I'll amend my statement to say build, cut or repair

Why do they need run surveillance on the families that were protesting for faster answers? Doesn't make sense.

Glass houses, stones, cough cough?

I'm against the US military industrial complex just as much as the next guy, but there is no comparison. Your article is also from the Russian government. That would be like me sharing a Fox News article about Ilhan Omar.

Spying on victims is nasty, despicable behaviour from a state body and probably causes more reputational damage than it ever prevents. It's not an exclusively Argentine issue: most other states are as bad or worse. A notorious example from the UK would be the police operation against Doreen and Neville Lawrence after the murder of their son, Stephen. There are plenty more examples from the UK and elsewhere.

Back