Macri's Amnesia

Still I rather have one individual (maybe) not pay taxes on what he owns than another stealing billions from other taxpayers.

This is a hugely insightful comment. When we're adjusting the scales to weigh the degrees of harm to the public from illegal activities we'd do well to remember this. All chorros are not created equal.

This is a hugely insightful comment. When we're adjusting the scales to weigh the degrees of harm to the public from illegal activities we'd do well to remember this. All chorros are not created equal.

In the uk they have seriously got things the wrong way around.

9YyYU.jpg

12371.jpg

I suggest that you read the Guardian's coverage of the Panama papers. They are very, very careful and every article contains at least one disclaimer stating that offshore accounts and companies are not in any way illegal in themselves. It's what you do and don't do with them that can have legal and/or moral implications.

Good point... analogous to owning a gun... not illegal provided the laws are followed but if in the wrong can be used for harm.

Is the entire premise of this thread flawed?

Good point... analogous to owning a gun... not illegal provided the laws are followed but if in the wrong can be used for harm.

Assuming that Macri's public statements are true, the whole thing is making a mountain out of less than a molehill.

If those statements are found to not be true, he will have lied on national TV and will thus have caused himself far greater damage politically than the initial revelations.

I had to go back and check who it was who started the thread - surprised to find it wasn't Bajo. But the first post starts with "Can't stand him," meaning Macri, so the title is just snark. The thread came to life and has some good discussion of the Panama papers and political ethics in general. So it's "flawed" in that it got more serious than the OP seemed to intend.

Back