Maiden name vs my spouse name in Argentina

jurarol

Registered
Hi,we just moved to Argentina about a year ago.My husband is Argentinian.Me and the kids just received Argentina's permanent residency,but this is really weird situation for me.They made me to apply with my maiden name,even though we got married 12 years ago and in the states.But the lady said that in Argentina women don't take their spouse name,they just leave the maiden name.But now it's so complicated,because all my id's (passport,drivers license...) have my married name on it.It's so annoying to carry around our marriage license,because the only document i'll have with my maiden name on it,it will be DNI,but that will take forever to get.Is this the right way to do it,or it was just my unlucky day.Has anyone experienced the same?

Yes, here names are not changed due to marriage.

If you are American, you can get a AKA sticker on your passport. It basically says you are Firstname Marriedname but AKA Firstname Maidenname.

mini said:
Yes, here names are not changed due to marriage.

If you are American, you can get a AKA sticker on your passport. It basically says you are Firstname Marriedname but AKA Firstname Maidenname.

Thank you for the response,So even if i did not get married here in Argentina,and i've been Marriedname for 12 years and all my docs have my Married name,still the rule applies? Do you now where can i put that AKA sticker on my American passport?

Regardless of where you're from, here they will use the name on your birth certificate. In order to use the married name as far as I understand you would have to have gone through the process in the States of legally changing it on your birth certificate.

As far as waiting for the DNI as an ID that has your maiden name, it might be easiest to just get a driving license here? Depending on the country your from you don't necessarily have to surrender your original.

It is actually really an annoying thing, since in North America it's actually a lot harder to revert to a maiden name than you think. So unfortunately can't just be solved by applying for another DL there in your maiden name.

In regards to using your husband's name, there is the option of appending it with a "de" to your maiden name ie the president is Cristina Fernandez, also known as Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner. However I don't believe you do this officially, it's just a social thing.

Contact your embassy regarding any passport changes -- it's illegal to tamper with them so don't try sticking on your own AKA sticker unless you want a big hassle the next time you travel!

jurarol said:
Thank you for the response,So even if i did not get married here in Argentina,and i've been Marriedname for 12 years and all my docs have my Married name,still the rule applies? Do you now where can i put that AKA sticker on my American passport?

Yes. It doesn't matter where you got married or for how long. They are quite insistent that your papers be in your name on the birth certificate. I had to get a declaration form the consulate that I (person on birth certificate) is the same as the person on my passport.

Now, possible bad news, I've looked online about the AKA amendment on your passport. According to what I found, it seems they may not just amend your old passport anymore. You might have to get a new passport with the AKA endorsement on it. You'll have to talk to the consular section at the embassy and see. (maybe email them?) I'm sure they've see this problem before.

ETA: As Syngirl says, this sticker thing* is put on by the consulate, not something you do yourself.

*(old system which may not be done anymore)

Back