mailing a package

katti

Registered
There are a lot of posts about receiving packages from other countries, but now my daughter wants to send a package (presents) to her friends back home. Is it simple? Are there limitations on size? I just put everything in a box, go to the post office (the one with the big waiting lines) and mail it as a "gift"? Or should I be carefull about something?
She has put a lot of hand labour in it, but wants to have the Argentine stamps on it, which is more exotic then taking it home for christmas by plane and give it personally... but is it worth the trouble?

I think you have to take the package OPEN to the post office. Do not forget your ID or passport.
It must be of less than 500 US dls of value, otherwise it must be treated as an export (and Good help you then!)
Good Luck Henry

does this mean she can not wrap it in gift paper?

Yes, only AFTER they have checked it out (making sure there is no contraband there, etc).

I would always send something that has a bit of value and/or is time sensitive via DHL. Fed Ex would work too, but DHL is cheaper and maybe easier.

You can find DHL locations on their website.

Either of these guys fill out the appropriate import/export papers and all of that stuff, based on what you tell them, or sometimes they will want to inspect the packages as well.

Certianly more expensive that regular mail though.

HenryNisental said:
I think you have to take the package OPEN to the post office. Do not forget your ID or passport.
It must be of less than 500 US dls of value, otherwise it must be treated as an export (and Good help you then!)
Good Luck Henry

What's the deal with the 500 USD limit? I'm travelling in december, and was planning to send my laptop (and a jacket, some shoes etc) home by mail before hitting the road. It's pretty old (2005), and cost about 5000 pesos new..but I'm sure it's not worth much now. Any idea if I will have a huge problem on my hands doing this?

DON'T send your laptop back. Sell it. There is a good market here for used laptops with good prices to match. Few people here can afford a new laptop! You might try Mercado Libre.

I agree. Don't send a laptop. It won't make it to it's destination.

mini said:
I agree. Don't send a laptop. It won't make it to it's destination.

Only problem is: it's not my computer. It's my ex's. And I kind of have to give it back, even if it's a old one.

If I send the package with insurance or something, that should cover it? Or, will the laptop make sure that the rest of my crappy personal belongings don't arrive safely?

Kyra said:
Only problem is: it's not my computer. It's my ex's. And I kind of have to give it back, even if it's a old one.

If I send the package with insurance or something, that should cover it? Or, will the laptop make sure that the rest of my crappy personal belongings don't arrive safely?

Is there any particular reason you can't just carry the laptop home?

Back