Manbags (Satchels/murse, Etc)?

numbat:
How things have changed.
What I found interesting in your post is that you live in L.A. and actually walk somewhere.
When I was last there in 1990.I was walking down to a shopping area in an area where there wasn't even any sidewalk at all.
A kindly woman stopped and asked me if my car had broken down and if I wanted to use her phone.
I said "No,thanks.But why do you ask that? Because you're walking down the edge of the street," she answered. .

I'll be in BA next month. On google street view I see that the manbag is favored in BA. The strap is "across body", and it outnumbers backpacks and briefcases 10 to 1.

Should I invest in a manbag before I arrive? (I have to admit, my wife has expressed reservations...)

They've become more favoured by city gents in the UK as well although they're more likely to contain the Guardian newspaper and a packed lunch than anything valuable.
In BA I personally don't carry anything that looks as if it might contain something valuable so I use a plastic shopping bag to carry my stuff in instead...the more tatty looking the better. It also matches my clothing style. :D

numbat:
What I found interesting in your post is that you live in L.A. and actually walk somewhere.

The viability of walking in LA pretty much depends on where you are in LA. In "The Valley" there's actually tons of walking neighborhoods, rich and poor.

The viability of walking in LA pretty much depends on where you are in LA. In "The Valley" there's actually tons of walking neighborhoods, rich and poor.

Some years ago we lived in Studio City. Walking on Ventura Boulevard was one of my favorite pastimes - and counter to most places in the US there were always lots of other people walking, too.

I lived in LA for over ten years, and walked a fair amount- in Hollywood, downtown, Mid Wilshire, Santa Monica, and other neighborhoods.
I lived just off Pico Blvd, and walked to the grocery store, various neighborhood restaurants, and lots of other local stores.

I also quite commonly carry a messenger bag, particularly to meetings. I find that probably 50% of the men I know, in the Seattle area, who are under 50, carry bags all the time. Its pretty common among younger people (men) in Buenos Aires that I know as well.

Back