Market For a Luxury Realtor with Multiple Languages and Experience

Daniel82

Registered
A realtor friend of mine from the States dealing solely in luxury properties and with an international clientele (she speaks 7 languages) is very familiar with how to deal with people of different business cultures including Argentina, is in looooove, and wanting to see what the chances would be of doing “ok” entering the Buenos Aires luxury real estate market. She would be dealing with international clients and very affluent locals with dollars to spend who wouldn’t be as effected by whatever path the economy might take and is truly a brilliant realtor.

In Argentina does one need to be licensed to sell real estate and would be able to license herself whilst waiting to get her papers through her fiancée? I’ve seen differences between “martilleros” and “agentes” —- Whats this about? She’s been offered to work with an agency that will give her mono tributo status by invoicing through a sort of “partner” while she gets her papers done for a cut of what she sells. It’s a person she knows quite well.

Thoughts?

If she plans to be in luxury real estate, monotributo is not an option. She'd make so much money with a single sale to be already above the highest monotributo category.

I understand this, but this is an option that she is being given while she makes her first sale, which I trust you aren’t being sarcastic about “making so much money” LOL

I am not sarcastic. The highest monotributo grade she could enroll in is Categoria H, which corresponds to max is 1151066,58 ARS gross per year, which is 26k USD per year with the current exchange rate of 45 pesos for 1 USD. I can see somebody in the Luxury market (which in my book are properties from .5 million USD upward) making that kind of money pretty quickly. Actually, even an average-faring US freelancer is above that limit.
I believe that as long as she doesn't earn any money, she doesn't need to start enrolling. Once you are enrolled, you pay regardless of whether you have earned any money at all in a given month.

A real estate agency's cut is 3% of the property value, but maybe the luxury market has different percentages, and maybe she is not given the full 3%.
Let's suppose she is given 1%, she needs to sell a 2.6M USD property to earn a 26k USD commission. If she is really that hot shot real estate agent you describe, that's not a remote option, especially if she plays her cards in Puerto Madero and can bring in foreign investors.

Thanks for the info.... I feel the same that no matter how the economy spins, even in its worst, Buenos Aires has always seemed to have an allure for the luxury real estate market especially (if not almost exclusively) with foreign buyers. Does anyone know about licensing requirements? What’s the difference between a “martillero” and an “agente” ?

Does one need some real estate agent license to be a broker?

I see my building aunties doing this work! They dont look licensed!

That’s what I was just about to comment- I’ve seen a lot of estate agents and I don’t think— especially the expat ones—- have gone through all of this “official” licensing stuff. Is there a way around it and/or is it just based on if the agency/client trusts you and you know what you are doing?

A realtor friend of mine from the States dealing solely in luxury properties and with an international clientele (she speaks 7 languages) is very familiar with how to deal with people of different business cultures including Argentina, is in looooove, and wanting to see what the chances would be of doing “ok” entering the Buenos Aires luxury real estate market. She would be dealing with international clients and very affluent locals with dollars to spend who wouldn’t be as effected by whatever path the economy might take and is truly a brilliant realtor.

In Argentina does one need to be licensed to sell real estate and would be able to license herself whilst waiting to get her papers through her fiancée? I’ve seen differences between “martilleros” and “agentes” —- Whats this about? She’s been offered to work with an agency that will give her mono tributo status by invoicing through a sort of “partner” while she gets her papers done for a cut of what she sells. It’s a person she knows quite well.

Thoughts?

You need to be licensed.

My advice, still do business in US and spend her easy money with her love here, novia or novio. Things could get ugly if you depend on making nice money herein Argentina where you come to a new country, a new market, not licensed, not knowing anyone (does she know Marci or his wife ?), where even the very rich ones are so cheap. This is not Palo Alto where you can sell 10m home to a tech CEO and they treat you with respect like you deserve it. --- an advice from someone who is in real estate for 25 years, and have seen enough luxury or sh*ty houses all over the world. Focus on falling in love, not being a realtor here.

Back