Marriage Papers - Bsas Or U.s.?

ayuthaya

Registered
My porteño s.o. and I (U.S. citizen) are getting married!
Just beginning to sort through required paperwork. He's currently in the U.S. (student visa for several years); and we'd like to stay here.

What have been other's experiences? Is it easier to do the paperwork in Argentina or the U.S.?
If Argentina, what are the hoops to jump through? I've heard reserving an appointment at a Registro Civil, blood test, etc.

Many thanks!

We tried for a long time to get married in Argentina. There was always another form, more information needed from the US...
Finally we gave up and got married in the US.

Besides ease, you should consider benefits. The US marriage documents will permit my wife to easily get my social security benefits.
We finally got a married in BA and that makes it easier for me to be part of her health insurance.

I want to add that our problems getting married in Argentina stemmed mainly from my saying that I have been divorced. I don't know if they make it as crazy for non-divorced people.
First we had months of getting my divorce documents from the US, getting apostles, redoing it, and again.
When finally the big moment came that I had satisfactorily proven that I am divorced they told me that I HAD TO NOW PROVE THAT I WAS MARRIED BEFORE I GOT DIVORCED 24 YEARS AGO!!!! They wanted copies of my marriage license and other documents.
Since I couldn't remember where in NY State I was issued a marriage license and since someone had to go in person to get a copy, I gave up trying to get married here.
I still can't understand how they could question my marriage if they had proof of my divorce. Or even why they wanted proof of my divorce, since I could have just said I was not married previously and they would never have know to ask for divorce papers.

I don't remember it being that hard. Yes, I needed to have my previous marriage and divorce papers from the US but I had those (just in case). We were able to get a time with Registro Civil and everything went smoothly.

I married my Argentine wife in the province of Buenos Aires. If you have all the paperwork it shouldnt be too bad. Yes you need to reserve at the registro de civil where the Argentine person resides. then get blood test, witnesses, DNI and you passport. check out http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/sites/gcaba/files/dibujotramite_matrimonio1.pdf

Back