Married to an Argentine citizen, questions about residency

I don’t have a DNI yet btw. Since I’m still under a tourist visa, is this possible for me or only once I’ve gotten a different status?
You will receive your DNI shorty after migraciones grants you permanent resdidncy (aka a "different status").

Get a good attorney......they're not at all expensive when you consider their value and results....... they know what they're doing......they know the people involved in the process....... their experience allows them to expedite the process ........ they will save you an incredible amount of time, aggravation, and going nuts trying to figure out what to do next .... I'm not an immigration attorney, so I can't really act like one and expect timely and desirable results .

1. Nowadays this is not that easy, the police is not Federal anymore. The county police ask for an invoice under your name, a lease contract, etc.
3. Now as the spouse of an Argentine, you are in possession of citizenship, so, you should not worry about to extend the visa. You have to decide if you go for second class citizenship (Legal residency) or full citizenship that you can apply at a Federal Court.
You can apply for citizenship without the local green card (residency legal). It is always better to be a citizen.
From what I understand I can’t apply for citizenship until I’ve been in this country for two years, right?

From what I understand I can’t apply for citizenship until I’ve been in this country for two years, right?
Based on what Bajo_Cero2 (who is an attorney who speciality is Argentine citizenship) has previously posted, the two year residency requirment does not apply if you marry an Argentine citizen and you do not need to be represented by a lawyer.

The process should be relatively straightforward and not at all difficult, especially if your wife speaks Spansih.🤠

Last edited:
Based on what Bajo_Cero2 (who is an attorney who speciality is Argentine citizenship) has previously posted, the two year residency requirment does not apply if you marry an Argentine citizen and you do not need to be represented by a lawyer.

The process should be relatively straightforward and not at all difficult, especially if your wife speaks Spansih.🤠
I’m checking the Migraciones website regarding citizenship (https://www.argentina.gob.ar/obtener-la-ciudadania-argentina) and the only problem here is that they’re asking for a job contract or the like. I actually am between jobs at the moment, as the plan was to quit my crappy job in the US while we got my stay in Argentina sorted out. So I am not sure if I can still apply. I have some money saved in my US bank account, and I brought a bunch in cash here just in case.

Thankfully both my wife and I speak Spanish. :p

I’m checking the Migraciones website regarding citizenship (https://www.argentina.gob.ar/obtener-la-ciudadania-argentina) and the only problem here is that they’re asking for a job contract or the like. I actually am between jobs at the moment, as the plan was to quit my crappy job in the US while we got my stay in Argentina sorted out. So I am not sure if I can still apply. I have some money saved in my US bank account, and I brought a bunch in cash here just in case.

I am pretty sure that at lest one of you would have to dmonstrate "an honest means of livimg" to the court during the citizenship process and I don't think money in the bank or cash on hand will be sufficient.

If my information is correct, I don't think you have to show a source of income to migraciones to get permanent residency based on marriage to an Argentine.

If that's the case, you could apply for permanet residency and get your DNI in a short period of time.

Steve is correct, I did exactly that, got permanent residency based on marriage to a permanent resident (not even a citizen). No job contract necessary, the residency and DNI came through in the normal time frame.

Me and my Argentine wife made the move here from the UK over 15 years ago. I don't remember the whole procedure for me being granted permanent residency but it certainly didn't involve half the stuff that's been mentioned here. It was a lot easier and more efficient . Probably helped that my wife is known by those in certain positions...fast-tracked?

Hi @regulustera,
I am married to a naturalized Argentinian, and I got my permanent residency directly through the Argentine embassy in Chicago. For the citizenship, in 2018 I applied through a lawyer without staying here for 2 years, but it is not working. I advise you to stay 2 years and then apply, it will be a lot easier and you'll have less headaches.

Hi @regulustera,
I am married to a naturalized Argentinian, and I got my permanent residency directly through the Argentine embassy in Chicago. For the citizenship, in 2018 I applied through a lawyer without staying here for 2 years, but it is not working. I advise you to stay 2 years and then apply, it will be a lot easier and you'll have less headaches.
With all my respect, his situation is different because his spounse is native argentine, he is thinking about applying for PR here, he lives here and he is married to an argentine woman that is exactly what law 346 says.
It makes no sense for him to wait.
I always suggest to do not apply for PR abroad becase citizenship judges think you live abroad and they do not like tourism for citizenship. In those cases they ask for the 2 years.
Law 346 was very innovative becase women used to loose their nationality following the husband´s and here is the opposite. Nowadays, it is a 2 ways road but by interpretation.
Law 346 does not request your spouse to be native but racism always is there.
Just in case you do not live here no less than 6 months and 1 day every year and work here, I suggest you have more patience because the fact is you do not qualify for citizenship. The wife of my father was married with him for 20 years and she does not have the argentine citizenship because they live in Sweden.

Back