Max monthly transfers allowed by Western Union from the US

Carloncho

Registered
I am Argentinian wanting to return from the US and receive my monthly Social Security benefits via Western Union.

I am Argentinian wanting to return from the US and receive my monthly Social Security benefits via Western Union.
Are you already receiving monthly Social Security bebefits?

Do you have a "my Social Security" account?

If so, download a pdf of your monthly benefits letter.

Also downlod pdf files of (at the least) your two most recent US bank statements showing the monthly SS deposits.

Then have an Argentine accontant register you with AFIP. to be able to exceed the new limits (at least for transfers and depsits to an Argentine bank that is "enforcing" the new limits imposed by the decree of 2023 which set them at the current levels below $1000 USD per month and about $5,000 USD per year),

If the acountant needs more information, they will inform you.

Last edited:
You will probably also need to provide copies of (in pdf format), the least, your two most recent Argentine bank statements.

To answer the question posed in the title of this thread, if I understand correctly, based on the current piso de ganancias, you should be able to "earn" up to two million pesos per month and transfer up to two million pesos pper month without owing taxes on it.

As Social Security beneftts are not earned income and now that Argentine pension income appears to be non-taxable, I doubt you will have to pay any taxes on monthlu benefits that total les than two million pesos.

I don¡t know about proceeds from WU transfers that are pciked up in person in Argentina or if AFIP has imposed any limits on the amounts of the transfers.

They are undoubtedly aware of those transfers, including the identity of the recipient, as well as the amounts and frequency.

My experience is as follows:

For the past more than 5 years I WesterUnioned myself average $2500 CAD monthly. Definitely more than $20000 USD annually. Never ever a problem or documentation. No questions ever asked. None.

Suddenly in October 2023 and for some unknown mystery my WU account was blocked and went into a BLACK HOLE for about 5 months. I was told that one of the possible reasons is the WU annual limit. (which till today I still don't know).

During these 5 months I survived by doing the Colonia run It was non stop phoning WU, TD , BMO, SCO, VISA, MC ,,,, 24/7. (They all REFUSED to investigate or acknowledge the problem,,,,, they acted weird as if it is not their problem ,,,, they had nothing to do with it )

Finally, last month for some mysterious unknown reason suddenly my WU account is working fine. No problem. No documentation. No questions asked. None. Just like that!

Last edited:
Back