Maybe don’t let the airport scan your face

carride

Registered
Something to consider next time departing the US. I was surprised by the new (new to me) face scanning at the TSA security check point for all passengers regardless of international or domestic.

Simply stand away from the camera or keep your face covered with a mask, present your ID, and say, “I opt out of biometrics. I want the standard verification process.”

Simply stand away from the camera or keep your face covered with a mask
What's the point of opting out? They already have your driver's license picture on file. By the time you reach the gates, you've passed numerous cameras. Is it just this particular camera that makes you nervous?

Try to opt out of having your picture taken at the immigration controls when you are entering Argentina.

What's the point of opting out? They already have your driver's license picture on file. By the time you reach the gates, you've passed numerous cameras. Is it just this particular camera that makes you nervous?

Try to opt out of having your picture taken at the immigration controls when you are entering Argentina.
Yes correct, your picture has already been taken and stored several times, especially walking around in an airport. Though in this case it is the first absolute correlation, of that day, of all those pictures along with your name and ID number. Plus it is another unwanted, and surprising, intrusion by the State to build a facial recognition database. Or when it is hacked it is a database given to criminals to easily identify you and impersonate you.

Of course I am just as defeated as you knowing that it's not worth the resistance. Just give in and move on with your travels. It's only an article stating the fact that it is happening and your weak position to possibly resist.
The article was not about that. It was about opting out in a US airport during a routine, and most likely a non-international, travel day.

I love the facial recognition. No line, I walk right thru, while 200 paranoid wingnuts wait for a half hour. Global access and facial recognition make coming back to the USA just a tad less like a police state. Argentines take my photo every time I enter and leave. The USA has photos of me for passports going back to 1960.
You do you, I will already be halfway back to my house by the time you get questioned by a bored underpaid agent with power issues.

I love the facial recognition. No line, I walk right thru, while 200 paranoid wingnuts wait for a half hour. Global access and facial recognition make coming back to the USA just a tad less like a police state. Argentines take my photo every time I enter and leave. The USA has photos of me for passports going back to 1960.
You do you, I will already be halfway back to my house by the time you get questioned by a bored underpaid agent with power issues.
Yes now that people tolerate the global entry system they have decided to implement in the TSA area before scanning area after checkin for domestic flights. TSA agent still sitting there waiting for the computer to authorize the opening of the turnstile.

Yes now that people tolerate the global entry system they have decided to implement in the TSA area before scanning area after checkin for domestic flights.
"tolerate"? I have been a member for years now, and I find it at least vaguely sensible, as opposed to making every traveller take off his shoes because one guy, 20 years ago, failed to make a shoe bomb....
I LOVE global access. Its available to everybody, its run by the government and it works. I jumped on it as soon as it came out, and find it fast, and convenient.

"domestic" US flights are a different thing- global access doesnt apply, but you can sometimes but not always get TSA precheck.
The new thing in the US is paying an extra couple hundred bucks to skip the line, to a company called Clear, which has resulted in a number of unbelievable screwups, with the private industry version of biometrics failing again and again.

no thanks, I am very happy with global access.

"domestic" US flights are a different thing- global access doesnt apply, but you can sometimes but not always get TSA precheck.
The new thing in the US is paying an extra couple hundred bucks to skip the line, to a company called Clear, which has resulted in a number of unbelievable screwups, with the private industry version of biometrics failing again and again.
Well the article is about the new TSA domestic face ID system that everyone boarding any flight must pass through. Nothing to do with Clear or Global Access. And I passed through it recently, as it confused and slowed down everyone boarding that night.

I have Global Entry, the feds have my fingerprints, face, irises, and more.

Do I trust them? No. Do I want to wait in line at IAH for 3 hours with every other flight coming in from LatAm? Also no.

To each their own, I chose expedience; I'm a nobody, I'm not getting setup for anything with this data, and considering how often private companies and Renaper is hacked if privacy is your concern you should probably go off grid, but I respect people wanting to opt out provided it doesn't slow me down.

I have Global Entry, the feds have my fingerprints, face, irises, and more.

Do I trust them? No. Do I want to wait in line at IAH for 3 hours with every other flight coming in from LatAm? Also no.

To each their own, I chose expedience; I'm a nobody, I'm not getting setup for anything with this data, and considering how often private companies and Renaper is hacked if privacy is your concern you should probably go off grid, but I respect people wanting to opt out provided it doesn't slow me down.
currently at 84 airports, scheduled to be installed at 400.
I am not sure what "trust" means in the context of the federal government.

Will a cop shoot me if he is nervous? quite possibly. In the US police kill at least 500 people a year.
Will the FBI seek me out as a terrorist? almost certainly not.
Will the government machinery fail or malfunction once in a while? Sure, all machines do.
Will evil russian hackers steal my identity? could be- I know that my insurance company, my credit card company, and a couple of other private companies I deal with have had hacks that stole info. As has the public library in Seattle my wife uses.
Having any kind of digital profile, credit card, bank account, passport, drivers license, insurance, health care, or even library card means you are potentially in danger of some kind of cyber crime. Actual percentages are pretty low, but it happens. I had a check stolen from a mailbox a couple of years ago, washed, and cashed.

Welcome to the modern world.

Back