McCormick crushed Red Pepper Flakes

Mondongo

Registered
Hello, does anyone know where to purchase McCormick spices in CABA? I am looking for crushed Red Pepper Flakes. TIA for any info.

You're not going to find McCormick branded ones, but as SinPulgas said, you can find generic ones. I bought mine at Jumbo.

Hello, does anyone know where to purchase McCormick spices in CABA? I am looking for crushed Red Pepper Flakes. TIA for any info.
Easy to find in virtually any grocery store. "ají molido".

Now, If you're into mainlining spicy food like I am, it can be challenging finding fresh ají.

I do miss the selection of insanely hot, regret your life decisions, hot sauces that the US had on hand.

Easy to find in virtually any grocery store. "ají molido".

Now, If you're into mainlining spicy food like I am, it can be challenging finding fresh ají.

I do miss the selection of insanely hot, regret your life decisions, hot sauces that the US had on hand.
The aji molido here is not hot. Whether its old or made from non hot chilies, it is definitely not spicy. I buy fresh chilies and make my own hot sauce.

The aji molido here is not hot. Whether its old or made from non hot chilies, it is definitely not spicy. I buy fresh chilies and make my own hot sauce.
It is exactly as you described. In my experience, after purchasing several brands of "aji molido picante, I have not found any that is as spicy as McCormick's. I believe I will use GRABR for this.

It is exactly as you described. In my experience, after purchasing several brands of "aji molido picante, I have not found any that is as spicy as McCormick's. I believe I will use GRABR for this.

Before you go to such expense, you might want to try "locoto en polvo" which can be bought at most verdulerías. It's a green to brown color rather than red, but it does carry a certain amount of authority. It comes in a small envelope, and you will need to apply it with a somewhat generous hand.

**EDIT**
Locoto is a regional name for capsicum pubescens also known as manzano in Mexico. It's a lovely pepper, and often available fresh here in CABA during season, but the problem I have is that the fresh ones vary wildly in hotness, from a relatively mild 2,400 to a truly bunghole-cauterizing 250,000 Scoville, which is well into Scotch Bonnet territory. The dry powder form I mention above greatly reduces this uncertainty.

Last edited:
I've found absolutely nothing in Argentina "hot". My suegra has a chile pepper plant because she likes the "pretty colors" and I've made some great sauce from it but visits are few and far between. My cunado down here in Neuquen planted of them in his front yard and it was sadly uprooted and stolen. I'll just have to plant my own I suppose.

I've found absolutely nothing in Argentina "hot". My suegra has a chile pepper plant because she likes the "pretty colors" and I've made some great sauce from it but visits are few and far between. My cunado down here in Neuquen planted of them in his front yard and it was sadly uprooted and stolen. I'll just have to plant my own I suppose.
Surely you can find Merkén / Merquén, as far as I understand it's a Mapuche thing, the closer you get to Chile the more available it is.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
carride Articles 0
Back