Meet the Clarito, Buenos Aires’ Signature Martini

Oh, that's an interesting read, MilHojas, thank you.
Did you see the part at the end about Ani Varela at La Favorita adding a couple drops of orange bitters? Though I must say three ounces of gin is a damn stiff martini.
  • 3 ounces London dry gin
  • 1/3 ounce (2 teaspoons) dry vermouth, plus more to prepare the glass
  • 2 dashes orange bitters
  • garnish with lemon peel

this is literally just a dry martini
That depends on your definition of "dry"
Years ago I worked for a retired USN officer, (brown shoe navy, no less, said he flew the old P2), and his idea of making a good martini involved just waving the vermouth bottle over the top rather than actually adding any.

that's "gin, up" when properly ordered, and for alcoholics, not cocktail drinkers. in its inception, a martini was 2 parts gin to one part vermouth, and if it hadn't received a bad reputation during the 1980's (and the fact that most bars carry shit vermouth no one would want to drink), more people would realize that recipe is an excellent way to enjoy a spirt. vermouth compliments, not covers, a good gin.

That depends on your definition of "dry"
Years ago I worked for a retired USN officer, (brown shoe navy, no less, said he flew the old P2), and his idea of making a good martini involved just waving the vermouth bottle over the top rather than actually adding any.
A man walks into a bar. The bartender asks: what will you have? The man replies: a dry martini. The bartender puts the gin and ice into a shaker, holds it up to his mouth ans says: "vermouth." He pours the drink. The man sips it and looks at the bartender and says: "Loudmouth."

This is a pretty silly piece since it describes a drink and does not indicate where it might be served. La Favorita would be at best a guess. I've reviewed all the past posts but I'll ask the question once again: anyone know where one can get a decent dry martini in CABA? I am only too aware this is not a bar town. And that it's a joke to ask for a decent mixed drink. For the record: dry martinis do not have orange bitters. Joke martinis do. Dry martinis do not have an onion (Gibson) much less a twist of lemon (Vesper martinis). Dry martinis have dry vermouth which is white. I have once recently been confronted by a bartender who only had red vermouth and couldn't quite grasp the fact that there was anything else. Another, when asked for "en alta" or "up" served the drink in a club soda glass. Having said this, does anyone have a recommendation? The next question is, astonishing to my mind, does anyone know a bar that serves the increasing interesting Argentine artesanal gins? I don't expect this information for nothing. I'm buying.

Back