Meeting Ba Locals?

Nave

Registered
I'm 21 y.o. college student traveling to Buenos Aires next week. I'll be down there for two months. I don't want to be stuck with my group of classmates the whole time. What's a good way to get in the social scene down there? Is it hard for an American?

Thanks!

Check out the Centro Cultural Rojas. There are lots of classes and events that are cheap and it's a good way to meet and mingle with locals.
http://www.rojas.uba.ar/

I second Rojas. If the classes don´t match up with your schedule (they start 3x per year) I would take any class that encourages social interaction, especially theater in Spanish. There are some classes made for non-native speakers, but if you can, find one that is for native speakers. It was the best thing for my Spanish, and people like to grab a beer afterwards.
There are tons of classes on tons of topics, find one at night that lends itself to discussions, or a book club. You can also join a sports team or some sort of volunteer activity, or running club.
If you want more social options, go to a bar that has some expats but not too many, there will be Argentines looking to do "cultural exchanges" (hooking up with foreigners). if you go with a friend from the US, go with one, not in a group. That will encourage people to be more open.
And choose to be alone. Go sit a cafe alone, go to the movies alone, museums alone, so you don´t get caught into a group dynamic, and you improve your Spanish.

Hey guy I too am from the states - live here half the year - know some folks - perhaps can show you some things too - live with someone almost half my age who lived with me during his college years - perhaps the two of us can point you in the right direction too. BA is a fun city.. it is alive all the night too. Whatever you are looking for .. I am sure you will find it here too. Where in the States are you from so perhaps I can make some comparisons too. Perhaps you wish to connect.. if so then write me at [email protected]

Back